Toshiba SD1600
Description: Toshiba listens to customers and the result is the new SD1600 — a better version of the popular SD1200 player with a new and improved remote control for easier operation. This player has Dolby Digital and DTS outputs for connecting to a receiver or amplifier with a Dolby Digital or DTS decoder so you can enjoy phenomenal, theater-quality sound.

Submitted by pocketchange a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Purchased 01/15/01.
After replacing the first player, which for whatever reason wasn't working at speed, I've enjoyed the SD1600 with no problems other than the DVD layer transition (minor) situation. I've improved things along the way with better ICs and adding PS Audio Juice Bar and High Current Ultimate Outlet, for a very noticeable improvement in overall performance

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Patti Martin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the toshiba sd-1600 along with my big screen tv for Christmas. I enjoy it very much. But now I'm getting into having all of my old VHS movies replicated to VCD or CD-R using a DVD burner. Unfortnately if I new then what I now now about the sd-1600 not being able to play VCD OR CD-R I wouldn't have wasted the money on it. Since burning your own movies and music is the big thing now. A new up-to-date dvd will cost more money and I need one for my house hold. And looking at all the other reviews I think as a first time buyer I paid to much. And I have found that many dvd movies don't play so well or not at all. I purchased an old Bruce Lee dvd and there was no sound until a young computer kid told me to play with the audio button on the dvd remote. So I have found out that on some purchased DVD movies according to how the sound was produced by the manufacture I have to fiddle with the audio button to find the right audio.

Purchased At:   Rex Electronic

Submitted by AndyP a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
DVD Player is great if you plan on buying original CD's and DVD's.
Sounds great and looks great. Only had a few problems. Sometimes watching a moive its start distorting,(kinda like warped VHS tapes)
Overall...i would not buy this again and i wouldnt even recommend it, unless you got if for an amazing deal. Would be good for a second DVD player for the kids maybe :)

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Ryan Hager a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Do not buy low end Toshiba. Toshiba, however, agreed to pay for a $298 bill to fix a $150 DVD player..nuts huh? But we'll see how it works once it is fixed. The entire transport assembly broke and I never gave it heavy useage. Buy a better brand, or a high end Toshiba.
I hear Pioneer DVD is very good.

Purchased At:   Mercata

Submitted by g2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
had mine for over a year, never had a problem of any type. excellent picture with good source material. replaced with toshiba progressive when i bought a new tv. fine for the money.

Purchased At:   target