Samsung DVD-N501 DVD Players

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

· NUON Enhanced A/V Processing System · Dual Front Panel Joystick/Peripheral Ports · Convergence Cockpit User Interface · Moving Zoom Display System (1x - 20x) · Multi-Angle Thumbnail Display · Multi-Picture Strobe Display · Integrated HDCD ® Decoder System · Component Video Output Terminals (Y Pb, Pr)

Submitted by Richard26 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the N504 (in the US it is the N501) DVD player 11 months ago. It replaced my (beloved) Toshiba DVD player that was taken by my evil ex-girlfriend. I don't know why I chose Samsung. Usually I read tons of test and reviews before buying something electronic, but not this time. And it was a mistake.
The damn thing started freezing and skipping and crashing after 6 months. The problems got worse, and now every 2nd DVD is just annoying or impossible to watch. I've read some stuff about firmware update, but no go to DIY. What do I do for the weeks its going to be in repair? Will Samsung pay me a replacement? Guess not.
Otherwise a decent player. Just this freezing problem.

Purchased At:   Switzerland

Submitted by Joey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
After I upgraded the firmware to version 51, the audio-sync problems were solved. This is a high-end DVD player with a low price. This is a result of the unit being based on the NUON CPU platform.

Gladiator, The Matrix, and Phaton Menace all perform flawlessly. The Zoom feature works very nicely and has a huge range.

Menus are clean and easy to navigate.

The 501 also plays CDs and MP3 disks. The unit has built in visulaiztions (a la Real Jukebox and WinAmp) that display on your TV.

Of minor notes are:
* NUON games are appearing. One is even included. However, I don't think NUON gaming will take off. Buy this DVD player for the other fetures and not the games.
* The remote is too small.
* Load time is slow (8-10 seconds to load a DVD)
* Some NUON enhanced movies are available. I don't own one, but I don't think these will proliferate.

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by Crossbow a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Pros: Features
Cons: customer support at Best Buy - why not to give some information about sw upgradeability of this dvd player - I have no problems anymore...

Submitted by TwoWatt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Being my first dvd I wanted the best I could find under $200 and this is the one. Plays DVD,MP3,CDR&CDRW,VCD. You have to upgrade the firmware on the player out of the box but anyone with a computer & a cd burner can do this. If not check out http://www.nuontalk.tv/ and request someone send you a upgrade disc. I recently sent mine out to a person having trouble. I have has zero problems with this player. My girlfriend and I can watch the VLM (virtual light machine) for hours(if you dont know what this is, it plays a funkadelical lightshow while music is being played) . It has played all my mp3 discs with no problems. The games aspect will hopefully catch on and it does look promising. They also have came out with a SDK(software development kit) that will allow others to create software for the NUON player. Imaging downloading a game off the internet,burning it to cdr & playing it on the DVD player. Others have suggested "if i want to play a game & watch dvd's I ll buy a PS2" But the problems I have heard from PS2 playing dvds why would you want to....can you play mp3 or vcd on PS2....a big NO.
To sum it up....after months of reviewing which dvd to buy, I have made the best decision.

Submitted by Matt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this DVD player, now that I discovered that I need to keep it cool. If you put on top of your receiver, it will get hot and then it will have lots of errors including unsynced audio and picture jitter. I am very impressed with the picture quality, even text is very sharp. I don't plan on using the Nuon for gaming, but it definatly helps picture quality and gives excellent slow motion picture.

I only use the analog outputs for HDCD listening, and the quality is decent.