Samsung DVD-709 DVD Players

3.35/5 (124 Reviews) MSRP : $349.00

Submitted by Stacey M a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
CLASS ACTION!!! This is crazy...we need to get them. I know of a NJ lawfirm filing a class action contact me!!!
sm800@aol.com

Submitted by neoalec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Got it with an employee discount at K-Mart as my first DVD player. I region-hacked it to region 0 using an Aiwa stereo remote. I've used this player for over 80 region 2 (Japan) DVDs, and I use it even more for playing music CDs. I've had absolutely no problems with it, except for some of the player's limitations. It can't play any CDR discs, which is a shame since I make homemade VCDs, but it can play SOME CDRWs (in my experience, only the older, up to 2X only CDRWs). The CD playback options are very limited, but get the job done.

I especially like how an icon comes up on the screen every time alternate DVD angles are available, and doesn't go off into you hit clear. This way you never miss an alternate angle feature (I watch a lot of concert DVDs with alternate angles, and this feature is important to me).

I've put this player through a lot of use, and it has always been dependable. I especially like the well-designed remote. When DVD was a young format, Samsung already had things pretty well figured out.

The unit does heat up a lot, but this hasn't caused me any problems. Also on the negative side, when I first got this player a scratched rental DVD went crazy and the audio got out of synch. I haven't used it for rentals since I first got it.

Purchased At:   K-Mart

Submitted by dougbjr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I received the Samsung model 709 for a Xmas present in 2000. I played my very first DVD and not even half way through the movie the damn thing stopped playing and popped out the cd! I cleaned the cd and still did the same thing! So i thought it was a messed up cd that i rented so i went out and bought a brand new Cd (austin powers 2) and it did the same damn thing!!! over the next year or so it just sat there and collected dust! We called best buy for an exchange and they said they couldnt do it without a receipt! we wrote to samsung and still havent heard anything from them!!! so my final words of advice is SAMSUNG SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!

Submitted by leicanut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
my rebel self says more, more more!

it does all they promise on the websites. and if you pay 4 seconds of attention to the heat problem, either by running in a cool room, or popping the top, or installing a pc fan in a cut hole, or just drilling the top full of vent holes, 99 percent of the problems are history. it is not alone, the apex 600 shares the same lack of factory concern for heat dissipation.

it is not the most robust player for viewing dvd's that, how should I say it, ahem, are not from the original producer, but when it does play, it does very well.

and for $135, it is a rebel with a cause. recommended, if you can still find one.

Purchased At:   overseas dept store

Submitted by Gemma a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
It seems to me the USA has a different version beacause I (in the UK)have had absolutely no problems with it in the 2+ years I have owned it. I use it loads and it never overheats - as a precaution I raised it slightly with blue tac in each corner to allow more air underneath and kept it in a well ventilated area and its been fine.

The simple region hack is great and the fact that macrovision is disabled too as i can now record my DVD's.

The one thing that does bother me is CD-R's but I beleive this is a problem with many players you just have to find the right brand.

You can now get this player for below £100 ($150) which i think is great considering the quality of features that you get.

Purchased At:   Index Xtra