ROTEL RDV-985 DVD Players

4.09/5 (33 Reviews)

DVD Video, Audio CD, Video CD, SVCD readable. PAL / NTSC selectable video format. Digital audio: Single-bit DACs with 24 bit/96 kHz resolution. A 10-bit, 27MHz video DAC.

Submitted by slaug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you have any region problems you can re-program the DVD player like this to get it back to reg 2:

1) Unit unplugged from the electricity supply, no disc inside

2) Press and hold ‘PLAY’ and ‘OPEN/CLOSE’ at the same time. Whilst holding, plug into the electricity supply.

3) Press ‘3D SONIC’ button

4) ’96 KHZ SAMPLING’ should show on the display, followed by ‘PW’

5) Enter the password 5963 using the remote handset

6) The display should read ‘PW****’

7) Unplug the unit from the electricity supply; wait 2/3 seconds then re-apply the supply. The unit should then work normally.

Have a nice day and pls enjoy your Rotel!!!

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by catala1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
The product itself provides a good quality of sound and image. However since I own this player I've only had problems with it.

I bought it as a multiregion player, and could see that it also played my DVD-Rs. In less than two years it has resetted twice to zone 1 only, and had to be repaired. When I got it the second time it had 'lost' its ability to read DVD-Rs, and Rotel refused any responsability because it was not an 'oficially existent feature'.

Purchased At:   FNAC Barcelona

Submitted by MM2K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Second hand for £200...

I'm not sure weather I will purchase this product yet, I am going to test against some other £200-ish players like Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba etc...

I saw a lot of posts here saying how good audio quality for CD was. I have to disagree. I think it sounds overly bright and thin using the analog outputs.

Optical out for movies with Dolby Digital is Excellent with my Yamaha AX620, but DTS sounds a tad on the light side. Also, you have to drive it loud or there is little impact but I guess that's the same with any product.

Build Quality isn't bad, though for a retail of about £700, I would expect a heavier player. There is little to setup on this player - but it is multi-region out of the box (RCE?)

Video quality seems ok, but at the moment I have to make do with Composite feed as this player as no SCART. It is worth noting however, that the composite quality was better than using a fully-wired RGB Scart with the Yamaha DVS520.

Optical-out only is a pain as well.

I am also a little concerned to hear that this is more or less identical to a JVC player costing half-as much. Maybe I could get a better deal on one of those second-hand?

This product is also a little old now, and technology has moved on - have the improvements broght sufficent gains to entry-level products to out-perform this ageing rotel player?

I shall see when I test the latest crop of £200-ish players over the next few days.

Rest of System:

Acoustic Energy Aegis One Rears

Purchased At:   High-End Hi-Fi Deale

Submitted by Alex a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very good product to buy.
It has good a very good video quality and sound.
However the North American version does not support
0-zone.

Submitted by Philliam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Compared to the Sony, this player has much better audio quality - it is more musical, sweeter, dynamic and tugs at you a little more. I will agree that it may be a little thin, but coming from the Sony I was happy that I purchased my Rotel.

As for video quality, the Sony has the edge but you'll need a 35" TV+ to examine the minor differences.

The H/K had great video quality but the sound was much too forward, even for me. Samsung makes a great entry level player - let's leave it at that because there's no comparison with these players.

As for the argument that it is the same as the JVC, many companies will buy another's transport and then do their modifications to make it their own player. This is the case with the Rotel. This player is definitely worthy of the Rotel brand.

60.0 WA BLACK: