Pioneer DVL-91 DVD Players

4.38/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

DVD/LASERDISC ELITE PLAYER

Submitted by Chris Olonzo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Given how long this unit has been in Pioneer's lineup, I fear that it's the last combo player they will make, so I had no qualms about upgrading my DVL-700 to this model. It's unfortunate that we probably won't see the likes of this unit with features like MP3 palyback or Progressive-scan capabilities. Looks like I'll have to eventually supplement this combo unit with a dedicated DVD player at some point.

Like most Pioneer Elite products, it's pretty to look at. Wood sides, and a nice glossy finish. Build quality is excellent, with a copper chassis and heavy-gauge steel all the way around. It's really deep, though, to handle the auto-reverse mechanism....so don't think you're going to slip this in a standard audio cabinet. The remote has alot of goodies that I'll never use, and some of the menu functions are less-than-obvious, but it's got 'em if you need 'em.

Picture quality is first rate on my Mitsubishi 58" HD set via the component outputs. Alas, it's not progressive-scan, so the TV has to make up for this by displaying in 480i or 960i mode.

Sound Quality is great as well. I use a Pioneer VSX-09TX which still has the LD RF inputs, so I get Dolby Digital regardless of my source material. Be forewarned, if you expect to get DD from laserdiscs you need a receiver with AC-3 RF inputs or an RF to digital converter (such as those made by Nakamichi, and these are getting rare). The digital out will only provide DD from DVDs.

The only quibbles I have:
The loading process takes a long time compared to a dedicated CD/DVD player. It seems to take about 30 seconds for the player to figure out what kind of disc you inserted. Also, the loading motors are loud, but I guess this is to be expected given the size and heft of a laserdisc.

Purchased At:   Performance Audio, San Francisco

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit because I have a large laserdisc collection which I am not about to replace and my current Player has seen a lot of hard use. What immediately impressed me was how much better the laserdisc playback was over my CLD-D703, which is no slouch in the performance department itself. The DVD playback was also improved over my Toshiba SD-2108 and even though the dvd search modes seem a little sluggish,the layer change on dual layer discs was much faster. I also like the fact that the player can pass 96kHz signals through the digital outputs without downconverting to 48kHz,My pre-amp accepts 96kHz signals,so this is a big plus for me. The player has been everything I had hoped for and more. I am even considering buying another one while they are still available. Considering that I paid the exact same for this player that I did 6 years ago for my CLD-D703,I consider this player a bargain!

Purchased At:   robert paul TV

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my first and last LD/DVD/CD combi player. I have research this unit for the last eight months, debating should I or shouldn't I buy this unit. I finally gave in to my urge and bought it. I received it double boxed from J and R. Thanks Andrew. Being that this is my first LD player, I must say that this unit has excellent picture quality. Given that I will only use it for LD playback, I think pioneer should only invest in stand-alone LD players based on the quality of this unit. However, I think the warranty should be 6 years instead of 2years. That is, 2 years for each format. Given that all of their Elite line carry a 2 year warranty.

Purchased At:   J nad R

Submitted by TomP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Nice looking and style that fits right in with other Elite lines from Pioneer. Primarily used for Laser disc with karaoke functions. Video quality is just average for DVD and above average for LD. The menu is a great one in this machine since it lets you take control from audio to video adjustments to fit your tastes. The output selection is also a big plus which lets you virtually connect to your pre-amp/receiver and TV with all imagineable combinations.
Sound reproduced from its own DAC is just average for the mid to lo-fi cd player.

Purchased At:   Laser Land, San Jose, CA

Submitted by Richard Nebiker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this player. The picture on My 53 inche sony is great with both DVD and LD. Very good as a CD player as well. Sounds like a PD65 elite . I am using a sonic frontiers sfl-1 preamp , sunfire amp , to mirage m3si speakers for 2 channel. For 5 channel I change speaker cables and run a yamaha rx-v850.

Purchased At:   ultimate electronics