Pioneer DV-737 PAL/NTSC DVD Player DVD Players

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Top of the line DVD, this clean-cut unit equally delivers high quality images and the purest sound. We know that sound is important to you, which is why this forward thinking DVD player has separately designed audio circuits that perfectly complements its video enhancing features. Combinee, this means pure perfection in audio and visual design... and it looks good to. Also available in black as DV-737-K.

Submitted by serg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
i think the second DVDvideo player
the first is SONY DVP-7700.
VIDEO-5
SOUND-4

Purchased At:   LHS

Submitted by Scarface a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
A baby!!!

Purchased At:   Pioneer Israel

Submitted by witters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the latest in a long line of DVD players I have owned. It has always been my ambition to have a player which is great at both cinema and with 2 channel. I think that maybe this is the one. It's as good and probably better than the 7700 with stereo, and far exceeds it with picture quality. It is an exceelnt all round unit and well worth the money.

Purchased At:   AVland

Submitted by Fabrizio S. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I finally decided for this after having tried at home the Sony DVP-NS900 and the Pioneer 646a.

Initially I wanted the Sony 900 for compatibility with the TV set and for its attractive "QS" quality - however, although the image quality was rather good, I was annoyed with the difficult menu navigation and the assuming and increasingly intrusive "Sony style" (messages that instead of helping just tell you things like "you are too stupid to do this", very nice icons but very small and difficult to choose with the very "stilish" remote, etc.). On top of all, I was disappointed by the rather poor CD quality (especially on low frequencies), and found SACD playing not that exceptional (the two sample SACD inside the box are very low quality, and the one I bought with the player was... empty! no CD inside a sealed box! possibly they are not that diffused yet...). I also had a suspect: maybe Sony doesn't want to sell very good CD player now that they want to promote the new SACD format, which is so well protected against copiers in the interest of big majors such as Sony itself...

To make it short, I returned it in exchange for a Pioneer 646a, which featured the more open DVD Audio and even MP3 playing. CD playing was actually sensibly better than the Sony, but video quality was disappointing. Maybe it was also due to a problem of that specific machine (which on a Disney DVD showed a trembling in the image), however it was the last of the stock at the shop and therefore I finally opted for the older and more reliable 737.

I know it is probably going to be replaced (by the 747? at such a lighter weight? hmmm...), though the Pioneer representative swore these two models were going to co-exist for some time. Nevertheless I can ensure that all the good things which have been said on it are true. The image perfection is simply astounding, colours are solid and real, motion fluid, the only remark is that there are too many controls for the noise that it would take half a movie to try out all the possibilities. Some kind of artificial intelligence to match the settings to the movie needs would be warmly welcome (does any player have it?) - but all in all you don't need to change these controls at all for the majority of good DVDs.
Audio quality is very good too: it's not a Rega Jupiter CD player (which costs alone more than the double of the 737), but it gives a very honest and good performance, with robust low frequencies and high level of details, sometimes just a bit "harsh" on trebles.
The only thing which could have been improved is the remote, adding at least some basic multibrand TV/VCR functions. However I recognise it is already complex enough as it is, and I start to realize that the only way to make it through the mess of an AV set today is a programmable LCD remote.

Purchased At:   Rome

Submitted by Gabriel Schwartz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
My review is for the DV-S737 which is the model sold in New Zealand. This is a very good player. It does not do MP3, DVD-A and SACD but I don't need it so I don't mind. If you need this features go get the new DV-747A. Picture quality is superb and the remote is amazing. The Pioneer joystick is a pleasure to navigate with. The only major thing that bugs me is the layer switch which is very noticable. I got used to but I will eventually replace it with a newer model like the Denon 2800 which is much faster. Another good thing for me is that is runs on 100-240V 50-60Hz meaning I can run it anywhere in the world and for someone like me which works in various countries including U.S.A. this is a must. Overall I would rate this 5 but the layer switch...

Purchased At:   StereoWolrd