Pioneer DV-59AVI DVD Players

• DTS sound processing
  • Digital Versatile Disc

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Excellent DVD-Player. Well built (but not as well as a high-end product), gorgeous look, loaded with features. Excellent image. Sounds good with CDs, very good with DVDs, excellent with SACD.
The remote control is not very convenient, ugly and made of cheap plastic.
My rating is for the price I paid, $650 new.

Purchased At:   Internet Merchand

Submitted by comeup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
What a difference a dvd player makes. All this time I've been spending so much money to make my system sound at its best like they do in the stores and i've finally made it there. My system is above the average and I thought my dvd player was. I knew my system was good but felt like something was missiing as i've always felt. I know when it comes to dvd players you more less pay attention to the picture quality and this one has that, I use componet video, can't wait to see what it looks like via HDMI . The reason I bought the Elite DV-59AVI was for the (dvd audio,sacd) and boy does it sound good. Not my first multichannel player I've owned a Toshiba SD 4700 dvd audio player that I used a couple of years ago it was ok ,but no comparison to the Elite player period. The Toshiba is not the one I replaced, its the Denon 2800 MKII which is a dam good player. It uses the Silcon 504 chip which is used on more expensive players. IT has a great picture and the two channel is exceptional , But no multichannel. Back to the Pioneer Elite, what threw me for a loop was the way that movies sounded I was stunned at the quality of detail and warmth that the movies gave me. Sound quality for movies does not just come from amps and speakers for movies, dvd players play a big part in it. The Pioneer Elite was a big addition to my system I got more than I expected. For what you get the price is incredible.
My system:

B&W 602 S3 (front)
B&W 600 S3 (centre)
B&W 1000 (sub)
B&W DS6 (surrounds)
B&K reference 50 (pre amp)
Rotel RMB 1075 (power amp)
Rotel RCD 1070 (cd player)
Dish 811 (HD Box)
Monster power (HTS 5100)
Hitachi 53 inch (RPTV) HD
Vander Hal ( cables and interconnects)
Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI (dvd player)

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi Fi

Submitted by kevin5brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
Very nice player. Excellent audio quality. My 6th or so Pio player. Very dependable and reliable. Easy configuration.

Submitted by Theatre Dude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having been a proud owner of the renowned Panasonic DVD RP-91, I was devastated when it was ruined during a recent flood. This prompted a long and arduous search for a comparable replacement, most of which are listed below. At the end of the day I chose Pioneer Elite's flagship DVD player, the DVD 59AVi.
Build quality of this unit was immediately apparent the moment I picked up the carboard box - this is a heavy unit, and the internal triple shield construction obviously contributes to the absolutely solid feel this piece has.
Connections are very generous, and Pioneer spared no expense when designing this unit - even with pressure-locking RCA connectors, there was no hint of weak or flimsy construction.
The real magic of this unit became apparent once I began watching a movie - the color accuracy and depth of this unit are absolutely unmatched - I found myself marvelling at my 50" DLP and how great it finally looked! Sound quality reminded me of something far more esoteric, with price tags approaching that of a 'DVD transport' - this unit can definitely hold its own and even outshine competitors asking 2 - 3 times as much.
This unit is intended to satisfy people who love DVD movies and high-end audio alike. It is also one of the few products I have encountered that really caught my attention - "stunning" is a very suitable description for what it does, and how well it does it.

Purchased At:   AV Experiences

Submitted by Bill-99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
On the audio side, SACD, DVD-Audio and RedBook CD are all excellent. The digital outputs are very good, but the analog outputs are even better.

On the video side, this unit is also a serious contender based on component outputs. It's not as flexible with non-anamorphic DVDs as some players, but in all instances, the picture is excellent.