Panasonic DVD-A7 DVD Players

4.3/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

DVD Audio/Video Player

Submitted by phil audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best DVD players I have used so far. It handles movies and music with ease, and the DVD-Audio part is simply gorgeous. Images are nice and sharp with vivid colors and there are a lot of options to fine tune the picture. The virtual surround VSS mode is a very good feature for 2 channel setups if you don't have a complete 5.1 system. The dialog enchancing mode is also a very handy feature. CD wise I agree with some users on the forum that it doesn't have the depth and details of audiophile cd players but I can't complain for the price I paid. I used the DVD-A7 along with a Denon DA-500 PCM processor and the sound improved immediately. The DA-500 incorporates 2 Burr-Brown PCM-1702 DACs. With a Siltech digital cable the 2CH playback was a satisfying experince when I played my favorite CDs. The player performs better with its video circuit turned off(by pressing the audio only button), and I find that a very good feature on a DVD player.

The machine is very well engineered. The facade is clean and simple, with just some essential functions for playback. The blue light is awesome and they give an elegant look to the DVD-A7. The remote is also well designed and solid. The digital transport and tray is well built, and there's a piece of rubber on the inside of the case to absorb vibration. The circuit boards are well laid out and the essential part (for D/A conversion I think) is covered in a metal box.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by davejcb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This has been a great player for me, have owned it for > 2 years, made a review on this site a long time ago.

I'd been using it for stereo music and movies up until now, where I purchased an NAD T742 receiver.

For some reason or other, the DVD player emits a very annoying humming sound in DD/DTS mode, almost sounds like an oscilloscope or something, wavy modulating sound, very annoying. This is via the digital coaxial output, and I have tested it versus a Sony DVP-NS315 player, doesn't have the problem.

As far as comparasion, the picture is much sharper on the Panasonic, sound is almost much better.

I guess I will investigate the humming issue and report.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Peter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been searching long and hard for a DVD player that also did Cd playback well. This unit does the trivk. A very underrated Cd player and DVD-A audio player.Picture on this unit is great.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by chuck giera a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on my previous review back in June 2001. After having my A7 repaired at an authorized Panasonic service center the DVD player has worked flawlessly ever since. The DVD Audio is excellent as well as the Video. This player has one of the best pictures of any DVD player that I have seen. Regular CD playback is also excellent. I am very pleased with the A7. I would recommend this player to anyone.

Purchased At:   J & R Music World

Submitted by Mingte Cheng a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
System
Front speakers - Pioneer Elite TZ-F700
MD - Sony MDS-JE440
CD - Technics SL-MC7
Phono - Technics SL-BD20D
Display - Mitsubishi WT 46805

This is my 2nd review for this produce. I think it will be fair to give a 2nd review after half year since I upgrade my system. 1st of all, the CD-RW does work. So it will be a good news for those who do have a ton of copy collection. 2nd, the picture is really good. Even is 8X playback, it is still smooth. The sound quality is so sweet But it is a pity that there is no digital out for DVD-A. When I used Digital out for DVD-A playback, it downconverts all the signal to 48kHz 16 bit PCM. Then all the DSP will decode as ProLogic. They say that' for copy right protection; however, I wonder what kind of recordable media support over 48kHz expect DVD-RAM. I think no one will buy a DVD-RAM and copy a DVD-A since the price is not too much different. Then I have to use its decorder and connect to my receiver. Give me a little more trouble. But I think this model is discontinue. They release several new model this summer, which also support CD-R, CD-RW, and Progressive-Scan . It is said because I do have chance to listen those models just jit the market. I think the model is DVD-RP61, which is about 400. The sound and picture do not seems better than DVD-A7, to tell the truth, I think DVD-A7 is better especially in music play back. People may concern about the Progressive-Scan; however, I do have different viewpoint. I think it is not so important since a lot of DTV right now can upgrade video to 480p/980i, it seems not a big issue anymore. If you guy do have chance to find this model still, I suggest you guy run to this one since it will be chaper than new model. Remember, X'mas is coming, which model you think will get better chance to ge a big on sale? Save those money and buy some more software.
This is the test model for DVD-A; however, it is really a good DVD player.
By the way, if you guy are interested in Panasonic new DVD-A player. The link is as followed http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/listmodels.asp?categoryid=463
PS. I am not working for Panasonic, I am just a poor int'l student.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield