Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD Players

If you want your entire family to be able to use the entertainment system to its fullest, the simple layout and one-touch activity buttons make this remote the ideal choice.

Submitted by Worf101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
Outstanding piece of kit. The BEST electronic device I've bought since going "HD". My Samsung LN52A-650 is sweet, so it my Onkyo DX-NR 905 but this thing beats em both for quality, versatility and rich creamy goodness. The device exudes class. Beautiful, quiet and stunning reproduction f DVD. Upconversion is marvelous and it really shows all teh flaws and beauty of the source materiial. Best money I've spent this year.

Purchased At:   Oppo Digital's Onlin

Submitted by MELV1N a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought the Oppo player on recommendation from the people at Axiom audio and reviews I read online about the player. I am very happy with my purchase. Like most people who buy an upscaling DVD player, I am unwilling to pay the high dollars on blueray or hd-dvd until the prices come down or the war is won.

I have just completed my entire HD system and the Oppo was the last addition. Unlike most people, I started my upgrade with my receiver. My focus from the beginning has been to really tweak the sound before buying the HD-TV (which I recently put into place).

The Oppo offers a very clear picture, but what really caught my eye is the audio decoding ability of this player. It decodes almost every format of audio including super audio and dvd audio. Toshiba just released an upscaling DVD player for around $100, but from what I can see it does not do as much audio decoding. Oppo is a great choice for those out there like me who have a decent receiver and television but do not find it necessary to shell out $1k for a player, which may be obsolete in a couple years.

My 60 inch television now sounds and looks as good as going to the movies...only I can drink beer and the popcorn is much cheaper!!!

Great picture. Awesome audio decoding capability. Moderate pricing.

Purchased At:   http://www.oppodigit

Submitted by mark1106 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Bottom Line:

I recently upgraded my Toshiba dvd player that is 5 years old. I paid $80 for it at bestbuy. I have a yamaha receiver that is also 5 yrs old and has 75 watts a channel. I plan on purchasing the yamaha rx-659 100 watt receiver as an upgrade.

After watching my dvd's on the dv-981hd for a week now, i am amazed at what i have been missing in picture clarity and detail. This player puts you very close(90%) to the top of the line $2,000 players by Arcam and Dennon.

The sound quality of my movies has so much improved that it makes me question if i need an upgrade of my receiver at all. The bass is much fuller and effects are much clearer. I got a major upgrade on sound quality alone.

If you are like me, and can't afford to spend $1,000 on a dvd player, this unit will allow you to experience dvd image quality of the big league for the first time.

I am so pleased with this purchase and thank Oppo for giving me high-end equipment at low prices.

If the word gets out about this player the $1,000-$1,500 dvd players are in trouble.

Trust me this thing is for real. If you already spent $1,000 on a dvd player go back and get yor money.

Purchased At:   OPPO Site

Submitted by scoobywrx a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Video playback is simply amazing, I don't beleive my eyes can pick up any flaws whatsoever but maybe true videophiles might. When listening to DVD's or CD's this system outperforms anything that I've seen in any showroom, anywhere. I'm not sure if the video processor chip by Genesis is revolutionary but my initial reaction is that its fantastic. The fact that an HDMI cable was included was just icing on the cake. If you plan on making any universal DVD purchase soon you just can't beat it. Try watching " The Incredibles" and see if you see and hear it differently than the first time you saw it, amazing.

Purchased At:   Internet