Onkyo Integra DPS-5 DVD Players

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Single disc DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit video DAC - 96kHz/24-bit audio DACs - Component and S-video outputs - Optical digital audio output

Submitted by JOELT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I HAVE BEEN A AUDIOPHILE NUT FOR OVER 30 YEARS.FROM CAR STEREO TO HOME AND HAVE OWNED MANY BRANDS OVER THE YEARS.LET ME TELL YOU SOME THING I HAVE FOUND ABOUT ONKYO INTEGRA NOTHING BUT THE BEST!.MY HAT GOES OFF I HAVE A DPS-5DVD PLAYER PLUGED TO A INTEGRA DTR-5.1 RUNNING A COMPLETE SET OF PARADIGM MONITER 7v.2.WITH CENTER CHANNEL AND SURROUND,
WITH THE PARADIGM PDR-10 SUB AND PANISONIC 27in FLAT SCREEN AND I BURN MY CD'S OR DVD'S WITH A PANISONIC DMR-E50.ALL IN 5.1 IT'S THE BOMB?.T2 THE START OF THE MOVIE IN DTS ROCKS THE BLOCK O AND THE HOUSE TOO.
SO I BELIVE ONKYO INTEGRA LINE CAN DO NO WRONG!! IN MY BOOK OF LIFE.GOOD JOB!!

Purchased At:   ADVANCE AUDIO

Submitted by jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
i specifically went after this model because of this website. i found a guy who does custom installations and is also an authorized dealer and i bought it from him. so this is what i got it hooked up to, 27 inch toshiba tv, yammy rxv 800 av reciever, polk 600 floor, polk 245i? center, infinty bookshelves as rears, pinnacle ac100 sub monster component and coax cables.
i have a large variety of dvds from different types of animation to action, and i highly recommend Star Wars Episode 1 dvd, even if you didnt like the movie (i dont know how you couldnt) its perfect for putting your system to the test. Well, if i ever have to justify spending so much money on equipment, this dvd player and Ep 1 are it!!! this picture is amazing, when i first got it, i thought i was looking at a computer screen, and sometimes i still think i am!!! sound wise i couldnt be happier, the THX test on Star Wars gives goosebumps everytime, all my dvds sound perfect. there has been some trouble in moving from some tracks, but i wonder how much this is the dvd themselves, as i know these things are defective alot and are recalled. so i say buy this piece, you wont go wrong, its got a nice look to it, plays great, cds sound good too, and who cares if it doesnt play cdrws, ITS A DVD PLAYER!!! go buy a cd player you mutts. i will more than happy to tell you how great this machine is via email

Purchased At:   invidual distributer

Submitted by chili mc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Denon DVD 1000 at a local shop in conjunction with my purchase of a Denon 3801 A/V receiver. I've had both models for about one month, and love/have had no problems with both. Then I read the reviews on this site. The reviews of the Denon 3801 basically confirmed my choice of that receiver...I think it's terrific. If only it was software/firmware upgradeable.

I read the reviews for the Denon DVD 1000 and panicked. Then I read the reviews of the Integra DPS-5. Since my 30 day refund period was about to expire, I ran out and picked up the DPS-5. I figured I had dodged a bullet, and gotten a better quality deck for less than I paid for the Denon DVD 1000. Unfortunately, there is unacceptable video noise every time the DPS-5 changes tracks. And, believe it or not, the audio from the Integra deck doesn't come close to the quality of the Denon unit. Perhaps that is because it is paired with the Denon 3801. In any event, since the audio was not as good (the Mrs. noticed, too) and the video noise looked like a warranty claim waiting to happen, I opted for the Denon. Maybe I'll buy an extended warranty for the Denon!

Purchased At:   Local retailer

Submitted by Scott Kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I purchased my Sony 61" digital TV, I received a free KLH DVD player with the unit. Nice gesture, but big difference in quality. The comparison is not worth mentioning. The DPS-5 produces top-notch video and sound quality. I was using S-video at first, but kept hearing component video was the best video picture. So, I bought the component cables and they were well worth the money. The quality is like what you see in the store auditions and what you expect from a high dollar TV and DVD player.
I am very pleased with this purchase and plan to buy the Integra DTR 7.1 or 9.1 receiver next month.

Purchased At:   American Audio

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Integra DPS-5 DVD player was a complete impulse buy after I got fed up with my JVC and decided not to attempt repairs on the old unit. I took a big risk by not looking at any reviews prior to my purchase. Fortunately, I am lucky to have a great A/V shop about 2 miles from my home and they steered me to this particular unit after I told them about my JVC experience.

Limitations in my eyesight makes it hard for me to see the picture quality difference between DVD players, but I was still able to notice a difference between the Integra and the two lower price units that I looked at. I was also attracted to the build quality and the easy to use on-screen menus. Finally, the sound quality is terrifc despite limitations in my current speakers.

This DVD player has been absolutely flawless and was really worth the money that I paid (particularly since it was about $45 cheaper than my old JVC).

The Integra DPS-5 was my first Onkyo component, but most certainly will not be my last.

I would reccomend this DVD player to anyone, as long as they do not want a multi-disc unit.

Purchased At:   Barrets Home Theater