Onkyo DVCP500 DVD Players

Onkyo 5-Disc DVD Changer - DVCP500/ Exclusive Direct Digital Path/ 192kHz/24-Bit D/A Converters/ MP3 Playback With Onscreen Display/ Dolby Digital And DTS Digital Outputs/ Progressive Scan Video Output/ Optical And Coaxial Outputs/ Parental Lock Function

Submitted by DSR a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy an Onkyo product again. The DV-CP500 has been in the shop more than on line. It completely burnt up after 2.5 years of use.

Submitted by Jeff Armstrong a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit because I was pleased with my Onkyo receiver and CD changer that have worked great since 1996 with no problems whatsoever; however, this DVD player is a piece of junk. The unit worked fine for the first few months, but then the performance degraded. It started freezing in the middle of movies, then it just wouldn't play DVDs at all. The error message states "This disc is incompatible with this player. Please insert a compatible disc." As it turns out, every DVD is "incompatible with this player." Funny how these exact same DVDs work flawlessly on my Dell laptop. Onkyo should sell the DVCP500 as a "boat anchor" rather than a DVD player. And to add insult to injury, Onkyo customer service just plain sucks.

Purchased At:   Circuit City or Best

Submitted by Coach Dizzy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
After 3 months audio would sometimes disappear. A week after the warrenty ran out it would not turn on at all! Onkyo said they would pay for parts not labor.

Purchased At:   Soundcity

Submitted by hvymtl6988 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit as an "open box" item". It had it's original remote and manual so I jumped on it basing my decision on price and Onkyo's reputation for quality and dependabilty.
So far, I've not had one problem with this unit except for once, the first day I had it, it locked up on a CD. I had to power it off and on and it came back to life. It turned out though that it was a very dirty disc and cleaning it solved the problem.
Everything works fine, otherwise. MP3's, CD's, DVD Video, and DVD Audio discs (in Dolby Digital or DTS only). I am reassured that I do have a one year full warranty on the unit in case something goes wrong. The previous reviews are not very comforting though and I hope it's not a defective unit. As I said so far, it has worked like a champ and the audio and video quality it just fine.

Purchased At:   Cicuit City

Submitted by Toby Creek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good features, didn't mind the remote, poor video performance, annoying behavior.

Pretty much, that sums it up. I used this DVD player for quite some time before getting fed up with the slightly blurry video in progressive mode. Interlaced was fine, but grainy. When I went progressive, everything got a little fuzzy and shifted to the red end of the spectrum.

After replacing the cables with Monster THX component cables, I decided I needed to figure out if it was the TV (RCA 53" HD) or the player. I brought down my cheaper ($250) Panasonic 5-disc unit from the bonus room and had a bake off. My wife is not as critical as I am, and she saw a huge difference. The Panasonic is clear, bright, and more color accurate (although it did shift a little red as well, but not as much).

The Onkyo went back upstairs with the old equipment. It's fine for driving a 25" TV and a 10yr old audio system, but don't expect this pricy player to drive your good gear to it's potential.

Other than the performance sucking, it's got decent features. I don't like the auto-play on startup (that is REALLY annoying to me). The remote is OK, but I used it to program a universal, so I didn't really use it much. The unit is a little loud changing disks. Has everything in terms of outputs. To play MP3s, the disks have to have a very specific directory and file naming structure, so I never used that feature.

Purchased At:   Circuit City