Onkyo DV-SP501 DVD Players

• plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD
  • plays CD, audio CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 and WMA CD-R & CD-RW
  • 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter
  • selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive-scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
  • de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
  • optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
  • 1 set of A/V outputs (composite, S-video, and 480i/480p component video)
  • Direct Digital Path
  • remote control (multibrand for TVs)
  • dual 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converters
  • 17-1/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 13-1/2"D

Submitted by marclar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
In the past month I have been looking for a DVD player that can play DVD-R/CDR, have good picture quality, decent options and proced under $500. I have returned several Sony DVD players - they were absolutely unacceptable. All of them gave C:13 errors more or less often when trying to play DVD-R ( i have a lot of them). On a few models that played DVD-R (intermittently) the picture quality was quite poor with certain compression types used on DVD-R.

With Onkyo DV-SP501 I had no problems playing any of my DVD-R and the picture quality is excellent. I liked the setup options that it has, not top notch but very good for the $200 paid.

I use Monster coax connection to the Sony receiver and the CD sound quality is by far better than of any DVD players that I tried. Haven't tried mp3's or windows media as I am not interested. We'll see how this thing works on the long run (only had it for 3 days) but so far I am very pleased with this DVD player.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by Alec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an great dvd player that is everything I could ask from a DVD player in this price range. The picture and sound quality are both fantastic.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield