Onkyo DV-S501 DVD Players

4.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $970.00

CD-DVD Player

Submitted by johnny a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I hate this dvd player onkyo is the most over rated crap in the world I think memorex is better then this crap

Purchased At:   biway

Submitted by Matthew Siow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a solid DVD player and the fact that it's Gold makes it even more so. I've had this player for a year and a half and it has perform consistently well in that time. Picture and sound were stunning. The tray mechanism is rock sturdy and is very smooth.

There's component output though I've yet to use it but the signals coming out from the S-video is simply stunning.

Would I buy this Made in Japan player again - you betcha!
Cost me A$1299 but I think well worth it.

Partners very well with the Sherwood R945 recevier I had.

Submitted by Trevor Trower a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this product for about a year and a half and it has given me excellent service. DVD was just making its appearance in my country when I bought it and so I felt like one of the privileged few out there. Sound and picture are superb as is to be expected of this format. It plays PAL and NTSC formats perfectly.
The only minor glitches I have experienced were on 'Big Daddy' and 'Twister'. About 3/4 way through Big Daddy on the widescreen side, pixellation (blockiness) occured and the player jammed. I solved the problem by flipping to the fullscreen side. On Twister, I could not start the movie from the menu. I had to go to the chapter selection screen and select chapter one to start the movie. Apart from these minor glitches, I am still very happy with the machine and will not part with it even though I have a new LG DVD player with its more advanced technology.

Submitted by NEIL a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I wanted a DVD player that was a competent CD player as well for a separate HT system. I liked the fact that the Onkyo DV-S501 has dual laser pickups to optimize either DVD or CD media. Component video out was another feature that I wanted for the future. The on-screen menu makes setup an easy task.The video is great, I have nothing to even fault it for. The remote is nothing special but functional. No glithces, no tracking problems or lip-sync trouble. I use it with my HT system which is an Onkyo 828THX/ED901 DD decoder.

Out of curiousity, I compared it's CD sound to my Meridian 508.24 dedicated CD player that I use in my 2-channel setup. Speakers are Magnepan/Velodyne and pre and power amps are Krell. Considering the huge price difference, the Onkyo did a fine job. No, it didn't have the layers of sound and the depth of soundstage or the same ease of presentaion in the upper frequencies, but you can't expect it. It was clear, detailed, however a little flat sounding when compared to that company. I certainly wouldn't feel bad if I had to use it as a substitute if I ever had to send my regular player for service.

I bought this Onkyo S501 soon after it came out when they were phasing out the Toshiba-twin, DVD-7. I probably paid too much, considering what it's replacement can be bought for now, $300-something. List was $800 when it was released. I got it for considerably less than that. But at the time the only other high-quality player was the Sony DVD-7000 for $1,000. Soon after I got it, the DTS fad was warming up and it was replaced with the 525 which the main difference was DTS, however, I'm glad that never panned out like everybody thought and the S-501 serves me just fine.

Submitted by Brian Jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
Excellent player w/ all the features at an economy price. When my CD player went down, I used this as my audio source component also, and it filled in very well. To date I have had no troubles w/ disk incompatibilities.

Premier Mounts: