Onkyo DV S353 DVD Players

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Cecil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
FOr folks that are having picture quality problems, it sounds like you have the thing connected through a VCR. That will cause the screen to fade to gray or modulate in color. USe a seperate video connection to your TV and the problem will go away (MAcrovision)
Nice player, easy to use, great Manufacturer & warranty.

Submitted by Gerry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
The DVS353 is a good entry level player if your tastes lean toward simple operation and good performance. This player does not have many of the bells and whistles of other comparatively priced machines, but its performance speaks for itself. I've owned many Onkyo products over the years and have been impressed by this manufacturer's ability to turn out excellent machines. I must note, however, that the machine did freeze up momentarily during the first day of use, but has not done it since during frequent use. The remote could be bigger and more aesthetically laid out. The unit does not play CDR's, which isn't a big deal since I have a CD recorder that does. The transport is louder than the Apex that I used previously; this is curious since the Onkyo surpasses the Apex in every other way. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this player.

Submitted by Steve a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
The instruction manual is well-written and clear. The player has positive operating action which means there are no rattles or other extraneous noises during use. The picture on my TV is smooth and much better than that produced by my old Pioneer laserdisc player. Likewise, the sound going through a Marantz receiver to external speakers is terrific. Combine this with a one-year parts and labor guarantee (while other players in this price range have only a 90-day guarantee on labor) and you have a fine entry-level player.

Purchased At:   Local store

Submitted by Gary a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I first unboxed this unit of Christmas morning, I discovered that on of the top rear corners was wrinkled, indicating a hard blow. There were no marks on the box, so I assume it happened at the factory. Overall, this is a great unit, and has performed quite well in the week I have had it. I use it with an Onkyo TX DS494 amp, which is proving to be a good combo. When I played the "Pearl Harbor" DVD I received, it started doing weird pixel patterns at scene 17, but that turned out to be a bad disc. I replaced the movie and it worked great after that. I am pleased with this unit so far.

Submitted by David a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
We will be returning this DVD player, and getting something else.

Purchased At:   Circuit City, Nashua, NH