Onkyo DR-90 DVD Players

3.6/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $538.00

· DVD Player & A/V Receiver in One Chassis · Dolby Digital Decoder Built-In · Video CD and CD Capability · S-Video Output and Input · 30 FM/AM Random Presets

Submitted by Kelly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
We have 2 of these receiver/DVD players in the house. One works with no problems and the other was picky for a short period of time. Both work great now. Good piece with smaller speakers. Not enough power for high end tower speakers, but getting a powered sub and making the proper adjustments will solve that problem.

Purchased At:   Audio Zoo

Submitted by Harry Schneider a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
unit produces above average quality in sound and DVD play.Can only handle small speakers. Remote control is a joke as virtually impossible to see ! Also speaker connections are so narrow and simple that they belong on a 60.- Walmart radio. They allow only the thinnest of speaker cords to be connected ,unbelievable !! It proves that no one from mamagment ever takes home these babies and use them in a proper environment. The engineers must not be using those babies either !

Purchased At:   Tabangi Electronics

Submitted by Brendan Leeson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I received the DR-90 as an early christmas gift and was blown away by how great of a unit it was. The feeling quickly changed to one of anger as the DVD/CD portion of the unit promptly died after only three weeks of use. I then had to deal with the horrible service department at Onkyo who told me that my warranty was not valid due to the fact that I purchased the unit from an auction site. After many phone calls and several heated discussions, the unit was repaired free of charge and worked perfectly. It has been 3 months since that time and once again the laser pickup assembly has gone bad. I don't understand why a company such as Onkyo would sell such a poorly designed product. I would be curious to see how many of the other people who have had problems with this unit, purchased them from auction sites. I was thinking about buying their top of the line receiver, but after all of the problems I have encountered with Onkyo, Denon here I come.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Eugene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Pretty good solution if you plan to play DVDs only or can live with average audio. Otherwise fine. Also it doesn't play CDR, but that was not my major concern. Anyway, I returned mine back to the store.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by Anthony Garcia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Onkyo definitely has an overachiever in the DR-90. It has a receiver/tuner, CD, and DVD player. This unit has DVD features that you might only find on a lot of higher end units. It doesn't seem to have a lot of bass and it doesn't have a bass boost as my older Onkyo receiver, but I've heard that adding a subwoofer will make up for the weak bass. It certainly beats buying a seperate Dolby/DTS surround unit in addition to the DVD player. No connections to mess with and it's certainly cheaper than buying seperate components. I don't know why, but with the additional connections for my VCR, it even makes the quality of video playback seem better. I'm not happy that it won't play CD-R, but I can get over that or hookup my previous Onkyo CD player to the unit for that. It's a hard to find unit and most authorized Onkyo retailers don't carry it. I had to order it from a list of authorized dealers I found on the Onkyo website. I ordered it from ABT Electronics.com which had the best price on it outside of bidding on it. Most people I found got theirs for less by bidding, but I needed instant gratification and couldn't wait for the bid process. Pricing is very wide on this unit. Most sites were retailing between $525 - $725, but you can find sites that sell for quite less with free shipping and no tax depending on where you live. This is an excellent buy and reinforces my loyalty to Onkyo.

Purchased At:   ABTElectronics.com