Onkyo DR-90 DVD Players

3.5/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $538.00

· DVD Player & A/V Receiver in One Chassis · Dolby Digital Decoder Built-In · Video CD and CD Capability · S-Video Output and Input · 30 FM/AM Random Presets

Submitted by Kelly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
We have 2 of these receiver/DVD players in the house. One works with no problems and the other was picky for a short period of time. Both work great now. Good piece with smaller speakers. Not enough power for high end tower speakers, but getting a powered sub and making the proper adjustments will solve that problem.

Purchased At:   Audio Zoo

Submitted by Harry Schneider a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
unit produces above average quality in sound and DVD play.Can only handle small speakers. Remote control is a joke as virtually impossible to see ! Also speaker connections are so narrow and simple that they belong on a 60.- Walmart radio. They allow only the thinnest of speaker cords to be connected ,unbelievable !! It proves that no one from mamagment ever takes home these babies and use them in a proper environment. The engineers must not be using those babies either !

Purchased At:   Tabangi Electronics

Submitted by Smith a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought the product as I wanted a compact receiver which allowed me to play DVDs too. Dont like the clutter/tower of separate components. Dont use it very often as I rarely have time to sit down and enjoy a DVD. I guess, I have used the DVD player on an average once a month or if it is a long weekend then maybe some heavy usage.
I have a simple home theatre setup and the receiver worked fine for that. When all of a sudden 5 months back the DVD player part refused to recognise any of my DVDs/CDs. This problem has surfaced in the other reviews too. And I discover that my Warranty had just run out too. I was quite surprised at this from an onkyo product. Found a authorised service shop about 50 miles away and took the pains to take the set there. Discovered he had other sets with similar problems. Then he kept the set with him for a month telling me that he had ordered a technical manual from Onkyo and was waiting for it! Finally he told me that the optical pickup was bad and needed to be replaced. It would be ordered from Japan and would take a few more months. That really pissed me off and I said no thank you . Paid him the obligatory fees and brought home the receiver. the DVD player was working ! Well, it worked for a month and it gave out again last nite!! I think Onkyo has used a really sub-standard piece of equipment in this receiver just to make it stand out. On top of it they dont stand by it too. Looks like the customer is the sucker.
I am not going to buy any Onkyo products again unless they make good on their customer service.
They are going to drive me in the arms of Sony with this.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Brendan Leeson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I received the DR-90 as an early christmas gift and was blown away by how great of a unit it was. The feeling quickly changed to one of anger as the DVD/CD portion of the unit promptly died after only three weeks of use. I then had to deal with the horrible service department at Onkyo who told me that my warranty was not valid due to the fact that I purchased the unit from an auction site. After many phone calls and several heated discussions, the unit was repaired free of charge and worked perfectly. It has been 3 months since that time and once again the laser pickup assembly has gone bad. I don't understand why a company such as Onkyo would sell such a poorly designed product. I would be curious to see how many of the other people who have had problems with this unit, purchased them from auction sites. I was thinking about buying their top of the line receiver, but after all of the problems I have encountered with Onkyo, Denon here I come.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Eugene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Pretty good solution if you plan to play DVDs only or can live with average audio. Otherwise fine. Also it doesn't play CDR, but that was not my major concern. Anyway, I returned mine back to the store.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks