McIntosh MVP861 DVD Players

4.29/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $4000.00

Three 192kHz/24-Bit PCM/DSD Stereo DACs Built-In SACD, DVD Audio, Dolby Digital & DTS Decoder Balanced & Unbalanced 2 Channel Audio Out Coaxial & Optical Digital Audio Output
  • NTSC or PAL Video Output
  • Progressive Scan
  • Component 'S' and Composite Video Output
  • RS-232C Port

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris Huneke a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
    The MVP 861 is the latest addition to my McIntosh family. I added this as a 2nd CD source a couple of years ago - the MVP 861 and my older Denon DCD 1650AZ. The Mac is wonderful - very musical and it gives me astonishing results time and time again. The only thing left to be desired is the transport/loading mechanism. For a 3K player - I was expecting a higher quality loading tray vs. the flimsy plastic that it's made out of. My Denon has a solid build throughout including the loading tray. It's the only thing I would have recommend McIntosh put forth more effort on, otherwise the 861 is impressive. I'm using it for 2 channel audio only - no video although I'm sure the composite output is worth enough considering there is no HDMI (current model has HDMI).

The soundstage is much wider on the MVP vs. DCD (this is based on using the same interconnects) - some may not notice, but on Dave Grusin's Discovered Again CD there is quite a difference. Rich deep, but tight bass and extremely smooth highs (as is the Denon).

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Gary L a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
    The MVP861 is a terrific CD player. They are available on the secondary market for between $1200-$1800 which is a great price for a well made, well engineered CD/DVD player costing $4000 new. Many owners upgraded to the 871 simply because of the HDMI output and in doing so they sacrificed alot of money. My suggestion for anyone looking for a topnotch player is to find a used MVP861 and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Submitted by Boniccie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
    This is hands down the best sounding universal player you can get in the$4k price range..Same as the mvp871 but without hdmi out

Submitted by entdoc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the mvp-861 as a new old stock from a mcintosh dealer who purchased a close out from the mcintosh factory . The box was received via UPS, everything so far is working fine. The cd quality is the best I have every heard and I have other mcintosh equipment. I have tried the video since I am using it as a cd player in my 2 channel system. SACD on a Elton John disk sounds superb as does DVD audio on the Beatles_Love DVD a. I highly recommmend this machine to anyone looking for a great sounding cd/sacd/dvd-a/dvd video/ cd-r,cd-rw, dvd-r player.

Submitted by PFW a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I bought my 861 as a demo unit at Audio Dimensions. It was the best sounding CD player I have ever heard!
    CD and DVD Playback problems began. Audio Dimensions sent it to Mcintosh for repair. After a month at the factory, it returned, and still had playback problems. II sent it back myself this time. Another month without the player...
    When it returned from Mcintosh the second time, it STILL had playback issues, but this time, it vibrated on some discs so badly that it rattled the glass candle holder on my heavy wooden cabinet!!
    Audio Dimensions offered to send it in AGAIN. I asked for a new unit. They offered a refurbished 861, as it is no longer in production, or the 871 for a $580.00 upcharge.
    Wanting to get away from the 861, I accepted the new unit, but was very dis-pleased that I was expected to pay extra money just to get a working unit. I arrived to pick up my 871 that had been shipped common carrier from Oklahoma City. The box was partially open, and the packing for the inside box was laying in the outer box. I know the box wasn't open from inspection, bacause it had just arrived, it had extra parts inside that the salesman wasn't aware of, and he actually stated that he wanted to look at the unit.
    I left with the 871.
    Mcintosh service and Audio Dimensions' management both expressed thier dis-pleasure in having to make my purchase satisfactory. Ostensibly, since I ONLY paid 2500.00 for the store demo unit in the first place...

Two Mcintosh quotes still ring in my ears... "You now have the best.", and "The MVP-861 Breathes new life into previously unplayable discs."

Hopefully the 871 (which sounds even better) has the issues worked out.

Purchased At:   Audio Dimensions, Wi