Marantz DV6600 DVD Players

Submitted by Roypercy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2016

Bottom Line:
I use the Marantz DV-6600 exclusively for CD and SACD playback in a two-channel audio system, so I can't comment on its video capabilities. I will say, however, that the sound o the Marantz on SACD and Redbook CD is very good, certainly the best player I've ever owned. I've been through a number of CD players since I bought ,y first Sony Discman in 1991 or 2. Most recently, I had a 5-disc Sony DVD/SACD Changer (DVP-NC80V) and an older Sony DVP-S7700. The DVP-S7700 sounded great and was built like a tank, but I was interested in trying SACDs; the Sony NC-80V sounded very nice on SACDs but Redbook CD playback was rather harsh and flat, and the machine was noisy during playback. In both formats, the Marantz bests them both. While not as robust as the old Sony S7700, build quality seems very good. The transport is very quiet. I think the Marantz has a far superior D/A convertor and analog outputs. It also has an "audio only" mode that you can use to turn off the video circuitry. (I think it improves the audio playback, but that could just be a placebo effect) Surprisingly, it's also much faster than either of the Sony units at loading and reading discs. It has never skipped. Never. Through all of my old CDs, CD-Rs, you name it. I've never had a more reliable, less fussy player.

I admit, SACD is thought of mostly as a multichannel format; I have only a two-channel setup. But when I listen to an SACD I hear a marked increase in clarity, dynamics, and definition. Should I ever have more space than my NYC apartment I'll give multichannel a shot, but for the time being I am very happy with this Marantz player.