Marantz DV-7010 DVD Players

4.37/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW and Video CD playback

Submitted by Marcus Wellstead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
No regrets with this purchase whatsoever so far. Sounds a little harsh for first day or two but then mellowed wonderfully. I bought this primarily as a CD player and DVD secondly and it fits the bill perfectly.

Typically full-bodied Marantz sound quality. It is very detailed and from my experience sounds very comparible to my previous CD63se which I though was a cracking machine.

Soundtracks are replayed very nicely, and picture quality is perfectly crisp.

Operation is straight forward from the box and has plenty of adjustability to suit different audio and tv set ups.

Purchased At:   richersounds.co.uk

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I must disagree with the last reviewer regarding the video quality of the 7010. To me, in comparing it with my old Pioneer DV-525 (a great unit by the way), the picture quality is much improved. I should note I'm viewing on a 35-inch tube using S-video hookup. To me, the picture quality is superb. It's a little on the soft side, but not so much as to annoy. Layer changes also seem smoother and quicker than on the 525. I notice, though, that the setup menu looks suspiciously identical to that of the 525. Perhaps Marantz borrowed some of the 525's inner workings?
Other plusses for the Marantz are the much quicker loading speeds and overall quiet operation.
Sound, of course, is superb. The 7010 makes a great stand-alone CD player, even better than my Marantz 5-disc CD changer.
In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 7010 in place of my California Audio Labs Icon Mark II in my dedicated 2-channel audio system coupled with my Classe CAP-101 integrated amp and B&W Nautilus 804 speakers.
As for value, well, I wouldn't pay full retail, which ranges from $599 to $799. But that's because I don't believe in spending that much when new and improved DVD players are coming out all the time. I bought mine as reconditioned for $300. My value rating reflects that price.
In sum, if you can get this model on clearance (it is being phased out) for between $300 and $400, go for it.

Submitted by Daninthemix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this player as an 'all-in-wonder' unit to plovide me with decent CD playback as well as DVD.

As with most Marantz mid-to-high end stuff, the CD playback is excellent - both as a transport and using the analogue output stages. Surround sound is also well positioned, precise, and dynamic.

The main problem is, I feel Marantz DVD players (all the ones I've seen, anyway) lack really good picture quality. Sure - you'll get a reasonably sharp image, but also one that seems to emphasize both the film grain on the recording, and video noise from the DAC (presumably). As a result this player is very distracting in low-light scenes, but does a reasonable job in evenly-lit scenes, such as outdoors in daylight.

My opinion of the DV7010 is the same as with other Marantz DVD players I've seen - this is essentially a good CD player, with a video DAC and DVD transport bolted on.

I'm selling mine, and instead getting a Marantz CD17mkII KI CD player, and a Toshiba SD900E DVD, as I feel Tosh players offer the best picture quality BAR NONE, and I love the sound of Marantz CD players. Best of both worlds!!!

As a DVD player the 7010 is a failure in my view, but less fussy videophiles who want CD playback may well benefit!

Submitted by John Carroll a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am a regret buyer, that is, I usually hate what I purchase after I take it home. This was not the case with this unit. I purchased the DV 7010 when it was first introduced as the 'replacement' for the 7000. It was not intended to be my combination cd/dvd player as I have an excellent cd player that when compared to the 7010 playing cd's blows it away. I wanted a pure dedicated dvd player with no frills and that is exaclty what i got. The build quality is excellent, in fact it has essentially the same components as the reference DV-18, sans the copper sheilding and better transport. Disc load times are the fastest I have ever seen on ANY DVD player, and seek times are equally as fast. This might be the selling point for anyone who is tired of using players that are 'sluggish'. The on screen menus are user freindly. Th unit looks great as well. Real 'videophile' minimalism to it. Video quality- AHHH superb! I don't really understand how or why it is better than other mass market players in it's price range, but the DV 7010 just is. I demo'd it against a few players, including Toshiba which I though was great for the money, and the Marantz unit smoked them, esp. on the audio end, which I kind of expected. If you are not using component video cables with this unit or any DVD player, you are missing out big time. I still compare it now to players that freinds have, but they cannot compare to mine. The remote works well, although a little goofy in the layout, but I can't complain. It is not prog scan, but that does not matter as my display device upscans to 540p anyway. If I have one gripe against the DV 7010, it is the flimsy tray. Not exactly Apex or Sony, but damn near close! I sometimes cringe at the idea of loading a DVD into the player for fear that the tray will snap off. A steal for the price, and great picture and audio to boot. No regrets.

Purchased At:   JSG Audio

Submitted by Dutchaudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wonderful picture quality.
Fantastic cd-player. Difference between Marantz DVD 4100 is clearly audible. The sound is very brilliant, especially after connected on a very good network filter (van Medevoort, real Dutch art).
For each of you who are looking for a DVD player of which is used as cd-player for 80% of the time, this is the machine you are looking for.
In combination with the Marantz SR7200 receiver (when modified by Marantz as the mute switch causes troubles and occuring electro statical plops), you will have yourself a wonderful combination.
Thank you Stassen Hifi for recommanding this tremendously set!

Purchased At:   Stassen Hifi Netherl