Marantz DV 4100P DVD Players

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

The Marantz DV4100P is engineered for exceptional video and audio performance, featuring advanced digital technologies and premium components for superlative picture and sound quality. It is the ideal source component for a wide variety of high performance installations.

Submitted by wingwang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
The 4100 ose has really surprised me. I needed a new DVD player and my old Marantz CD-63 SE died on me, so I thought - "lets kill two birds with one stone if possible".

What I wasn't prepared for was the absolutely stunning quality of the 4100 ose as a CD player. It trashes the 63 SE that I have - which in itself is a pretty good player. I note that there have been complaints of its heavy bass, well, this might have worked to my advantage as I have a valve Audio Innovations 200 power amp that was never ever bass rich in the first instance. Partnered with the amp and a modest sub-woofer and I have to concede that I have NEVER quite heard my music collection this way before. Not the last word in transprency perhaps, but the system positively sings now with a great "live" feel. It is great as a DVD player (zero complaints, miles better than my old proline crap) but it is really the sound quality of the player that has knocked me out.

Submitted by ANDYCRYSTAL a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 4100 OSE
i purchased my Marrantz DV4100 OSE for £200 and i think it is a bargain.the video performace is of a very good standard,the colours are crisp and clean, and with excellent contrast.i watched the return of the jedi and lord of the rings and i have noticed no problems with low light level scenes as some people are saying on this reveiw site.
The quality of the the CD playback is of an expectionally high standard.the level of detail is extremeally good.The trebble is clean and clear with none of the spitting you so often get with CD replay on DVD players.This is due to a dual laser pick up that the machine uses (one laser for DVD and one laser for CD).The bass is tight and well controlled and the midrange is very good.In my opionion the CD replay is better than both the CD6000 ose and the improved version the CD6000 ose LE.
If you are thinking of upgrading your CD player then i would suggest you audition the Marrantz DV4100 ose as a serious hifi component,and i think you would have to spend at least £300 on a cd player to get better sound.The only bad points of this player is of the build quality,and the remote.The loading tray is very thin and flimsy and the remote could of been better designed,with important buttons made a little bigger.The only other bad thing is the on screen graphics,they are simple to use,that is providing you can read them,as they are superimposed rather than being solid and clear to read.The one last point i would like to make is i have only given this product a four star rating because it"s current retail price is still £400 ,and for £400 you can get better , but i would be very surprised if you could get better than this for £200 i got mine from "Richer sounds".and one last point this player won product of the year in the 2001 awards in what hi-fi

Purchased At:   RICHERSOUNDS

Submitted by Daninthemix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Marantz DV4100 OSE...not the pro model.

I bought this as an all-in-one player that would give me decent CD playback as well as good AV sound and picture.

The CD sound is exceptionally good, although rather bass heavy. I don't think Marantz makes a disc spinner that isn't class-leading in it's particular price band, and this is no exception.

I only used this as a transport for AV sound, and can only comment that it is a perfect match for the Marantz x200 range of receivers.

Picture is reasonably sharp, quite rich, but with a noise level that is slightly higher than the ideal.

Overall this player performs remarkably well as a CD and DVD playback device. It doesn't break new ground in any area, but everything it does, it does well.

Purchased At:   Hifi Junkies

Submitted by mesak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Andy, on my unit i haven't noticed any problem with VCDs disks as far as it was recorded in VCD 1 standard. I doesn't play VCD 2.0 version but it says so in the manual and specs so i wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't work. Make sure that you record your disks in this format.
By the way - after copying few DVDs i just stopped doing so because the image quality is horrible - it is as watching VHS with good sound.

Submitted by andy2810 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me first start by listing my current setup:- JVC Interart FR1EK TV, Marantz SR5000 AV Amp, 2x pairs of Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls, MS Centre Speaker and of course Marantz DV4100 OSE.

I decided to add a review not because I have a great knowledge Audio technology, but because it helped me decide what to buy. When I read reviews I enjoy and value other peoples' opinions, but sometimes cannot help thinking that at times, we are all sometimes guilty of buying-in the a product's hype. An example of this would be when you hear 5.1 surround sound for the first time you think WOW! It's tempting to think this DVD player's the business and the only one that can do this! When the reality is that all DVD players do that but may more have the WOW WOW! factor.

I made that mistake when I went for the DV4100 OSE and listened to DTS for the first time. I had a level of expectation that a £300 product couldn't live up too. Don't get me wrong, the machine produces excellent video by comparison to my current JVC 522 and the sound, in particular DTS, is simply stunning. in stereo mode, I could not really tell the difference to the JVC to be honest. But I told myself it has to be better because the hype says so. But for some reason expected more. I was however, disappointed with the build quality. The front fascia and Marantz badge look a little cheap and the disk tray looks like it could break with little pressure. Overall, the Marantz is a good machine, but for it's price, you can get a "mainstream" branded player with DVD Audio, SACD, progressive scan and onboard decoding etc... but a good choice if, like me, you want to pair it up with a Marantz amp.

Great product - but left me a slightly disappinted.

Purchased At:   Local Retailer