Kenwood DV 505 DVD Players

3.3/5 (10 Reviews)

- Twin focus laser pickup.
- Dialog language function.
- Programmable memory.
- Slow motion play.
- Subtitle function.
- Full functional 10-key remote control.

Submitted by Dan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this player about 1 year ago and was very excited to receive it. It has worked flawlessly and then it started having problems. Certain disks (Office Space, Gone in Sixty Seconds) will play fine and then once it switches DVD layers, all sounds/voices will drop one octave. Hearing Nicholas Cage talk in a really low voice is an interesting experience.

Submitted by johnsrinx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have this connected through the composite connections to a 51" Sony Widescreen TV and the picture is beautiful.
The sound I have going to the Kenwood VR-6070 with a surround setup. Watching DVD's is a whole new experience. We love it!
I bought this as an all-in-one player for music and dvd, but I was not happy with the music quality and use a Pioneer CD player for music.
I had problems with DVD's skipping and took it to a Kenwood repair center. They replaced the optics under warranty. It could have cost me $190.00. Since the repair the player has performed flawlessly.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Rayzor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This thing is a peice of crap. Kenwood makes the cheapest japanese crap possible. Do not buy this player.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Shawn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Good product if you have no other choice. Overly basic in function and design. I had only minor problems with the unit, but it's SEVERE lack of features pushed me away immediatly.

Submitted by bradleybear a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Summary:
When I first set the unit up I liked it.
But then I noticed that it clipped music that had constant tones in it such as "bagpipes." This seemed odd to me and I tested the bagpipes CD on 2 players in my cars, a DVD player in my den, and my son's CD player, even the computer played this CD flawlessly. Thinking that maybe I had a defective unit I returned the first unit after 1 week.
While in the store I tried the "bagpipes" CD against every other brand and none of them had a problem. The weird thing was that every model of Kenwood had the same problem. Now this may seem odd and it was only a bagpipes CD which I could live without, so I just took home a new 505 unit and used it for 3 months. I noticed that movies would flicker at times but the same movie would play flawlessly on my other DVD players. I noticed that constant sounds like mood music in the movie where they play organs or strings would clip like the bagpipes (you talk about distracting right in the middle of Spock's funeral ceremony the music clip, clip, clip). I tested this clipping
feature in digital and analog modes. Finally I gave up and returned the unit to the store. I brought home a different brand and it works great. Actually had a noticably better picture which my wife commented on (normally she doesn't care.)

I bought Kenwood because of good experience with the receivers. But a previous purchase of a Kenwood CD player that never worked quite right made me hesitant to get a Kenwood DVD player but I took the chance and frankly I was disapointed. I love the VR-507 Receiver it works great.

I also noticed that it automatically played whenever it could find a disk in the tray. Even if you pushed the stop button or the open button. It would continue doing what it wanted and not do what I was wanting until it finished. I don't care for it when electronics act smarter than me :)

I am not trying to bash the Kenwood but I feel that others should watch for these nuicances and return the unit if they notice it. It is NOT the CD or DVD disk.

Purchased At:   circuit city