JVC XV-FA95 DVD Players

4.1/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $297.77

Submitted by Mike Petty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good player. Seems a bit finicky and I'm complaining about the random play options too. Now, don't get me wrong this dvd player has features far above and beyond any other dvd player in its price range. I'm happy with it. But it could be better:

For a DVD player, anything over a 3-disk changer is overkill. That's a two-dvd movie with the extras disk in or a trilogy. Either way, that's a good 5-6 hours of sitting there just watching it. There's going to be a snack break or an eye-resting break in there somewhere where you can change the dvd's with no hassle. 7 disks of pure movies would be like 14 hours straight. That's overkill. There's no reason to have a 7-disk changer *just* for movies. But 7 CD's in a changer is pretty sweet. It allows you to get a good mix on. Lots of different types of music and its enough to bump a party on whole night without it getting repetitive. So, why are the CD player random options so lacking? If you're going to have the extra disks that are ONLY useful for music playing, what good does it do me to basically not be able to use them? If you want to just play DVD's, this player is fine...got a lot of options for its price range, but you can probably find a 1-3-5 disk dvd player that has the same options for a little less (and might more random play optinos). You basically shell out the extra $20-$50 for the geek factor of it being a *wow* 7-disk changer. Give me true random play and I'll take this dvd player with me to my grave. It'll do everything then.

My second minor complaint is that its a little finicky. I'm not sure if its over-heating or what (put it in the same spot as my older dvd player, which didn't have any problems...but it is pretty warm there). On a scene in LA Confidential it just freezes and both my computer and Playstation 2 handle it without an error. CD's that have some minor scratches skip on this player when they don't skip in my car player. My Computer and Playstation also seem to be able to handle scratched DVD's better than this player. It's not significantly worse, but enough to notice. I know, you should take better care of the disks, but when someone brings over a movie to watch and they haven't taken care of it there's nothing I can do about it. I bought a returned unit though, so maybe this is just mine. Wouldn't doubt the sales-person gave me a little lie about it never being used. I got it for under $200 though, so its hard to complain. I also live in a very dusty environment, so it might just not like dust.

Those are how the DVD player shapes up for me. Its a good player with good clean video and sound. Everything it does, it does right. I just wish that it did better random play and my player at least is pretty finicky. If you want a dvd player, buy this sucker. If you also want to play music search around for a 5-disk that does more random play options. This sucker only random plays like single cd's. Won't random play among all the disks and it won't random play an mp3 cd.

Submitted by Nate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Submitted by soundguy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent unit! I bought this component MAINLY to watch DVD movies - the unit's MAIN purpose (some reviews complained about playing MP3 and CD?). 7-disc PROGRESSIVE SCAN, AND DECODES DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS WITH ALL THE NEEDED CONNECTION OUTS - WHAT ELSE WOULD ONE NEED?! The JVC is connected to my Pioneer VSX-D810S rcvr via MONSTER Lightspeed optical cable (fiber-optics won't pick-up interference like Coaxial cables) and the sound is EXCELLENT. The DVD player has excellent features and in my opinion the remote isn't that hard to use as mentioned in other reviews. The player also has a great ZOOM feature for enlarging scenes for closer looks and variable speed forward/backward, fast/slow playback for playing around w/ movie scenes. I read an article in Home Theater Magazine that suggested fully utiizing this JVC's progressive scan feature by connecting with MONSTER (yeah baby!)COMPONENT VIDEO-3 CABLE. It's connected to my Philip's PP559701, 55" Widescreen, Hi-def/digital TV. THE PICTURE IS MAGNIFICENT! The combining of Progressive scan, Hi-Def/ Digital TV, and MosterVideo 3 component cables collectively produce awesome picture quality that must be seen in order to appreciate. I immediately noticed the ddifference between my Sony (DVPNS-400)interlaced scan DVD player and the JVC Progressive-Scan. There is a a big difference also, between Monster Video3 Component and regular RCA cable when connecting your DVD player to TV. As hard as I try, I CANNOT imagine what the higher end $1000+ DVD players can do that this JVC can't do if connected properly. I do notice a split second delay in sound when moving to and from scenes and Features pages that is not there on my Sony DVPNS-400 DVD player (which isn't progressive scan or multi-disk.) But that's the ONLY complaint I may have. Overall, this is the BEST PROGRESSIVE-SCAN, Multi-Disk player you can buy for under $500 - hands down. You'd be Hard pressed to find a comparable player w/ all the same features for this price.

This is a DVD player and excels at it. It has ALL the features you need to watch and play w/ DVD movies. If you're looking to play MP3's or music CD's w/ the "random" play features look for a CD player w/ those options. If you want a great multi-disc, progressive scan DVD player, that decodes DD/DTS that also plays MP3 and audio Cds, at a great price then this is your unit.

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by Mike Petty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Pretty nice dvd player, especially for the price. It looks pretty, and the user setup options are good. I get great audio, and sweet video from it and a 7-disc changer for below $250. It's seriously hard to beat that....My singular complaint is that they REALLY need to do something to allow more random play options (like being able to random-play mp3's, mp3 groups, discs, etc). Not having that kind of option ruins mp3 playability since you have to listen to them in order, but if you put like 500 mp3's on a disc you can just set a different starting point each time. Still, I'd like to be able to make a set of groups and be able to random-play between the groups. I hope they provide some type of firmware update including this if it's possible. Don't let this dissuade you though, it looks great. They put a lot of work into the form as well as function. For a little over $200 you can't find a better deal.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Jake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
An excellent device, fully functional and amazing quality for the price. Mass production may yeild a few bad apples, but overall system is terrific. All burned discs work and work well. CDs that skipped on other players are no problem for this one. Two models of two colors to match system scheme.
I have used this device with a TV, and it is quite amazing in quality.
I did not purchse this device though for watching movies. I needed a new CD player and decided that i might as well take the next step up in this system. In selecting a device i wanted a CD changer that played 5 or more discs. Surprisingly, i was unable to find any other DVD-A players that played CDR/RW at this price range which had multiple discs.
This unit has done nothing but please me. From stability, to ability to play formats and appearance coupled with price, it has served as a terrific addition to my system.

Purchased At:   JandR