JVC XV-523GD DVD Players

3.48/5 (62 Reviews) MSRP : $270.00

DVD player that also plays the CD-R and CD-RW recordable CD formats

Submitted by Austin Aronis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had my jvc xv-523 for about two or three years now and have not had any significant problems with it. The only plroblem I have had is that sometimes when I insert a dvd and it reads it, it would begin to make a countinous loud noise like it's the motor. I took it in to be looked at and they said that there was nothing wrong with it, but it still happens sometimes. It does load especially dvd's slow. Sometimes it will not read a dvd then have to restart it and try again. Audio cuts out when transferring from layer one to layer two format on dvd. But it does have good sound and picture. I have had no skips and no freezes.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by wombatlvr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
First DVD player I ever owned. I'll be brief here. I think I made an OK decision; this by no means is/was the best player, nor was it the worst. Truthfully, I liked the look of it (aesthetics, I'm such a sucker for it). Since this model is outdated and they have newer versions available, no one will read this.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by pcron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I never had problems with this unit at the start. Once I started renting dvd's I noticed a lot of skips and pauses. I learned quickly that I needed to run the rental dvd's thru a cleaner before using. I havn't had any problems since. This is a high quality unit and I wouldn't trade it for any of the cheap models out there. Lots of great features. Actualy more than I will ever use.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by jcondejr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
After almost 2 years of continuous service, I am still extremely pleased with this player! Had some initial skipping problems with DTS DVDs but after relocating the player to a "cooler" spot and "recalibrating" it (hidden service menu), I haven't had a problem since.

Submitted by rosman a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Worked fine in the beginning but now skips and stalls especially on DVD9 discs.Called tech and they said it's common complaint for this model and can't do anything about it :(

Purchased At:   Seng Heng