Integra DPS-10.5 DVD Players

• Built-In Decoder
  • Direct Digital Path

Submitted by williamtassone a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Received this DVD player 1 week ago after reading the hype.
Conclusions;
1.SACD performance -untested
2.DVD Audio performance- untested
3. video performance- (deep sigh) Given the price point I am a bit confused as I can't see a discernible difference between this player and my 2year old $150 SONY player. I remember the remastered version of the exorcist: at the beginning during the opening credits during the sunset seen there is definite "banding" (for want of a better word) in the red colour of the sky ie; you can see definite "steps" between the different shades of red (on my cheapo sony player) . on the integra the red sky looks more uniform (?$6000 placebo effect). My Tv is the american sony KDXBR910 (australia KVHR36M31- super fine pitch)
5. AUdio performance- I am not an audiophile- to me the sound was no different than when I had the $150 sony player hooked up.
6.Build quality- sides look stupid ; 6 big bolts at the top detract from any aesthetic appeal it may have. My receiver is the Integra 7.4 built in Malaysia and had a very high quality polished fascia. The Integra DPS 10.5 dvd player was built in Japan and the front fascia has a more "scratched" appearance reminiscent of the dreadful Marantz players out there.

Submitted by Skyhawk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
Let me preface this review by sayin that I work for a high end retailer in Canada. I have the oppurtunity to demo all of the latest greatest stuff from companies like Krell, Linn, Integra Research etc....

Upon unpacking I new something was great about this DVD/CD player. It had a significant weight about it that spoke volumes before connecting it.

Connection is straight forward as is the front panel; the panel is free of confusing or cluttersome buttons. Although the blue glow from the behind each of the main buttons may be a concern for those with a completely dark room.

Accoustically speaking this device was kinda of all over the map. I demo'd the device only in two channel given my setup at home.

Krell FPB 450 Monoblocks
B&W Nautilus 800 Fronts
Krell KCT Preamp
Audio Quest Extreme Sky Interconnects
AudioQuest Everest Speaker Cables.

I found this player to be a solid CD transport, free of sizzle or edginess found in most multi format players; save the Linn Unidisk 1.1

Bass reproduction was fast and plentiful lots of bottom end for any listening type. The entire Miles davis Kind of blue was relaxed and wonderfully full at the same time.

SACD left some things to be desired. However let me temper that by saying that I am not sure how all of the SACD's I listened to were mastered. SACD really has a great benefit if it is recording from analog masters or was orginally recorded in DSD. If the originals were recorded on a PCM 44.1 Khz board there is no point to SACD. But that is a topic for another day.

I found the SACD section to be good, but not exciting. It was clear, fast, and enjoyable; but....... It didnt lift me off my feet. Call me jaded but I have lsitened to other products that sell for less money that had more effect on me in SACD. Good points were that it was relitivly immune to the high frequency artifacting some people have said come part and parcel with SACD.

DVD audio went un tested :(

Purchased At:   Canadian Dealer