Hitachi DVP505U DVD Players

3.53/5 (49 Reviews)

Single Disc DVD/Video CD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit Video DAC - 24 Bit/96kHz audio DACs - NTSC Video Output - Component Video Output - S-Video and Composite Video Output - Optical and Coaxial digital audio output - Analog audio output

Submitted by Artie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this machine (DVP515) due to a reputation for quality (soon to be shaken). It seems to play well, and it's specifications are excellent. The large number of outputs are good. However, nine months into my ownership, things started to go wrong. It began eating disks. I took it to the service agent, and did not hear anything for two months. When I got it back, it still didn't work. It's over three months since I reported the fault, and Hitachi still seem unable or unwilling to get parts into the country. Nor will they return phone calls from their customers. I feel this is a well spec'ed unit, but would never buy Hitachi again due to service nightmares

Submitted by James Deeks a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this thing for about a couple of months now and it is great!

Submitted by sdigital a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this unit now for about one year and I can say I have had very little trouble with it. Doesn't skip like others are saying and the picture quality is nice. In Dolby Digital mode this thing sounds excellent played through my Yamaha HTR-5250.
One thing I did experience a few times is that upon inserting a DVD into the unit it would lock up so to speak and I would have to unplug the power cable for it to be in a functional state again. It happened a few times when i fisst got it and has not happened again in months.
I make my own movies here on the computer and the Hitachi plays everything. I have taken video from my camcorder and made VCD'S and SVCD'S and burned with Nero Burning Rom to be compliant and the Hitachi gives me no trouble at all.
Furthur, the MP3 functionality is nice. it plays eveything I throw at it.

Purchased At:   Online Shop

Submitted by Randy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hate to repeat words used by others however, I too have come into ownership of this machine as a result of purchasing a DV-250 and having it die 1 year and 1 month after the initial purchase (good thing for extended warranties). I too was told that it would be too expensive to repair, so I accepted a replacement in return.

The skipping varies, some DVD's play flawlessly while others skip numerous times. One thing is consistent though the DVD's that don't skip, repeatedly do not skip after multiple viewings, whereas the ones that do skip always skip after muliple viewings.

Is it possible that it is the manufacture of the DVD that is the cause of the problem or the multiplicity of information stored on the DVD that is the cause.

I have spoken to owners of other DVD players and they seem to experience similar problems.

Purchased At:   The Brick

Submitted by Tom T a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
On the whole, this unit isn't too bad. Have had a few problems with rented DVD's. This unit is VERY sensitive to heat build up and I recommend supporting it with some sorbothane feet or some such to raise it off the shelf a little to allow better airflow. Plays MP3 but with only sequential access - no direct access with your remote. But in fairness trying to remember your favourite song numbers on a 150 song disc is a bit much. Had the Hitachi 250U previous to this and after 3 trips to repairsville with it not being fixed and a fourth trip looming I complained to Hitachi - but to no avail. It was the guy at Vision's who helped me by getting in touch with Hitachi's sales rep and getting authorization to exchange the 250u for the 505U. I won't by Hitachi again because of all the bullsh*t they put me through but I do have to say I really enjoy my Hitachi 32UX58B television. You would just think that when you spend $2K on a vendor's product they might be inclined to keep you happy by good service if something should go wrong. If you find this product used at what you consider a fair price it might not be such a bad deal then.

Purchased At:   Visions