Hitachi DVP250U DVD Players

3.04/5 (48 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

Single Disc DVD/CD/Video-CD with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10bit Video DAC - 96KHz/24bit Audio DACs - NTSC and Pal60 Output - Component Video Output - S-Video and composite video outputs - Coaxial Optical Digital Output

Submitted by Patricia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
It's funny that I'm reading such bad reviews on the Hitachi DV-P250, since it's been working flawlessly for me for what, three years or so now. The only thing I agree with is that the front display also just died, but you can always see where you are in the movie by pressing "Display" on the remote. It's easy to use, the picture quality is very good, it plays not only DVDs but also CDs and VCDs, ans it plays all regions without a problem. I've watched the LOTR extended version plus the extras in one sitting, and the unit was understandably warm to the touch when I finished, but no more than that. Maybe it's the units sold on the American continent the ones that are flawed; mine works fine. I've only tried once to play a ripped DVD and it wouldn't play - I'm sure the moviemakers would think that an advantage! I've no problem with that, it was the first time I'd tried one.P

Purchased At:   Mail order from Muni

Submitted by John Fillmore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This player has some nice features, but
disappointing performance, and reliability.

I had it fixed within the first two years of ownership. It is now causing me trouble again. It has always been dicey.

It will sometimes stutter during playback and some movies will not play past a certain point period.

I had to return the movie Volcano for this reason, and the movie Lord of the Rings will not play past the big meeting at Rivendell.

My front panel display also does not work.
For some reason it just died. All the controls seem to work, except the setup screen will not allow me to change the screen aspect setting.

I was able to set it once, and I have never been able to get it to work again. It is set to wide screen, which I set in error, even though I have a 4 X 3 screen format.

So now all movies are scrunched up.

I think this unit is a piece of junk, and
I regret buying it. I am now in the market for another DVD player and will never buying anything Hitachi again.

Purchased At:   Bleeker

Submitted by remigag a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I must echo most of the other here...it's bad. Overheats...freezes. Have to shut it down and wait then power up again to watch a movie...sometimes I give up. Picture and sound is quite good when it's working.

Purchased At:   bleekers stereo and

Submitted by Jim Tyler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hitachi DVP250U is really a monstrosity! Not knowing where to turn when movies started to freeze and player would stop, I just assumed it was a bad DVD disc. And then the machine started on the mind-of-its-own thing, switching in and out of Dolby Digital at its own free will. Very frustrating. I eventually paid service centre $90 for upgrades (I was out of warranty period) and this did not help. twice it was in, and then after three phone calls got new Canadian Service manager who said everything but that machine was crap. he offered to replace with latest and greatest DVP325U for $100 plus tax. What choice did I have? Now this one -fresh out of the box, has a problem sychronizing sound with movement of characters lips on screen. This may be fixable. At this point I don't give a rats a--. Hitachi sucks big time!

Purchased At:   Orillia

Submitted by Martin x a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
this has been a very poor machine that broke down within the first 3 x months - as it would freeze up & then turn off, I am still trying to get it fixed? - even though I went out & bought a fantastic new Panasonic, but atleast I have written in below how to multizone your DV-P250 - & if your wondering this procedure did not cause the faults on my machine as it has been faulty from day dot !

High End: