Harman Kardon DVD-48 DVD Players

• Multi-Format Player
  • Parental Control

Submitted by Duke Berry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2015

Bottom Line:
Can't stand the title "Audiophile", but I have owned or sold H/K products since the invention of the wheel ( 1979 ) - and for the longest time they filled the niche between affordable gear, and high end. Most bang for the buck. Since Dr. Harman went corporate, and more recently passed away, reliability and cust. service are going down the crapper! But this gem is a throwback to the old H/K legacy. The original retail was $400, and a street price ( when you could buy one ) for about $250. I had my first a year and a month, and it quit. With H/K's cust. service, best chance is to keep trying different people 'till you get someone who will help. My 2nd is 7 years old and still works great, and sounds even better ( SACD ). The only circuit they missed was HDCD, it has all others available in it's time - including gold plated pre-outs for SACD, both co-axial and Toshlink digital audio outs, as well as HDMI output. The power cable is removable for upgrade cables, and if you're reading this and don't think they make a difference, well, you can't hear very well! I replaced the factory feet with IsoBearings, and the transport is almost silent- especially compared to my Sony Blu-ray player ( nope, I couldn't afford an Oppo on Disability income.
Performance is terrific for a player in this price range. At conception, I was blessed with great hearing, and playing the trombone for 8 years ( instead of the drums, which was my first choice ) with no frets or valves, you have to listen to make sure you're in tune. And I truly believe that made me a better listener. Working in the audio business during the transition from analog to digital created the diverse genera's of music I listen to. And when the sound of an SACD piano sounds very much like a piano in the room - you can hear the felt hammers striking the wire! Video upgrades well to 1080P, and 6 menus let you cusomize about anything you want. The remote is well built, and backlit - a feature not seemingly important until you keep your home theater or family room dark. They should have done the same with the controls on the player. My only other complaint would be they used silver painted white plastic, NOT some kind of metal - so use the open / close on the remote, or the acid in your skin will eat through the paint! How cheap! But I'll take substance ( like the 6 channel pre amp outs ) over style. Harman used to give us both!
All in all, if you can find one - it's a good value for the dollar. GBY!

Submitted by j416 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
I am only going to comment on the sound quality of the unit because I am using it as a cd/sacd player only.
For the discounted price that these things are currently selling for, especially thru the Harman outlet on ebay, this is an outstanding bargain.
The sound is lush and warm, unusual for a cheap digital player. Resolution and clarity are first rate, especially resolution of fine details. Soundstaging is excellent.
I was using a Sony DVP-NS500v to play sacd's and as a transport feeding a Behringer SRC2496 for jitter reduction into Micromega Duo BS2 dac.
The Harman Kardon not only beats the Sony for SACD playback, but it beats the Micromega Dac for redbook cd playback.
Of course the Sony and Micromega are a bit old, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Harmon Kardon equals or outperforms currently available cd or universal players that cost much more.

Product model year:   2009