Harman Kardon DVD 25 DVD Players

4.77/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $226.95

Submitted by Victor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
Readers,
I have just spent hours comparing my DVD25 with a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 - results compelled me to post a review here. I am an avid audio enthusiast with years and tons of equipment and comparisons behind. After all the top reviews about the Cambridge I picked up a fantastic unit and was expecting to be blown away. ( I am currently constucting a second "purist" system for Stereo Music only). I could not detect a single difference between the 2 units. The CA sounds fantastic, but so does the DVD25 ! Everytime I listenend to a piece on the CA where I thought, wow now this is good, the DVD 25 came up and performed just as well ! Really a fantastic piece of equipment and you can pick them up at a steal these days. So the CA is being sent back today and the DVD25 will take its place in my system as CD player together with 2x Parasound HCA 2200II + Linn Kolektor + Linn LP12 + Infinity RS2b.

Submitted by yaromb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
Wow!
I was just looking for a suitable replacement for my aging Sony 560D (great product). Perhaps something that supports MP3s, recorded CDs and DVDs.
I looked at the high-end Pioneer 47i and Sony SVP-999ES at length and even borrowed them from the store to test at home. This HK player blew me away with its looks, the quality of the images and the simplicity it offers the user.

Setup
Harman Kardon AVR7200 receiver
Sony 34XBR800 TV
B&W 602s, LCR 60 and ASW 600 surround
InFocus Screenplay LS110 projector

Purchased At:   eBay (Harman Direct)

Submitted by aksak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just bought this player last september after having gone through all possible reviews (including this website), reports in magazines, ...and strong headaches when taking the final decision (I hesitated between SONY DVP-NS930 and this player) .
My goal was to find a good dvd player with nice acoustic performances when playing cd's through its analogic outputs ... and of course without having to spend thousands of euros on it, as I had to buy a dvd player and to replace my old cd player at once .

I have now a strong feeling I found this rare pearl with this HK DVD25 .
Picture is really nice ... of course I am an absolute beginner with dvd's . This player is easy to configure and to use . Moreover it is silent and the fact its panel lights turn off automatically after some secunds if you don't use the remote control is really a great idea .

Design is great in black, just underlined by the silver tray (I saw recently the same HK player in silver, it seems to me so poshy, almost kitsch) .

All plugs seem good enough .

Moreover, for a player produced in China, it looks real quality and hopefully should prove to be reliable .

Then sound is fantastic for the music lover I am . No matter if it is classical music, jazz, ethno or whatever you listen on this player, sound is great, with a high-medium well present, rich with details . So, for me, one of the best possible and reasonable (in terms of pricing) combinations dvd/cd player .

Congratulations to Harman Kardon for this great achievement .

And as you can see, we, French, are able to do not boycott American products ... if they are good !!

Purchased At:   Cobra Son Paris

Submitted by johnevcollins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Best all around player. This thing plays EVERYTHING (except DVD-audio). I am so impressed.

SETUP
H/K DVD-25
DENON 1801 Reciever
PSB Alpha Front
Wharfedale Surr, Sub, Center
Toshiba 36" flat tube

Even with just S-Video, the player is night and day better than my 3-yr old samsung piece of crap.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by gman1339 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great picture and sound for the money. I was looking for a replacement for my aging Sony DVP-S550 with support for MP3, DVD+R and DVD+RW. I was convinced that I had found it, that is until I loaded up my Tomorrow Never Dies SE DVD. Nothing like a giant camera icon poping up on my TV screen each and every time another angle is available on the disc. All of the newest Bond films including Die Another Day and my U2 Elevation Tour muti-angle concert are two examples that show this poor design decision. I wish HK would release a firmware upgrade to kill the angle icon. Looks like the Sony will still be used on multi-angle discs.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Problem : app. 25 feet from receiver/DVD etc to TV

New member, my question is how do I overcome this distance problem when it looks like I will need a special cable to connect my pieces of audio/visual equipment to my TV for optimal results. [ distance is app. 30 feet ] TIA. Jim.Read More »

Took back Daewoo DVD player, bought Koss ($25).

As you can see, I am rolling in cheap DVD players :D As it was mentioned (below link), Daewoo DVD player had a jerk motion every minute or so, so decided to take it back. Very good player overall with alot features including several audio DSP, so hopefully the jerk motion is isolated problem. ... Read More »

Sennheiser: