Harman Kardon DVD 22 DVD Players

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

• To produce a noticeably sharper image
  • Compatible with DVD, MP3, Windows Media
  • The DVD 22 features high-end DACs
  • Backlit remote for outstanding video

Submitted by lbrize a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
I previously was using a JVC player, fairly highly rated itself. The JVC has the fastest read time in the world (approx. 4 seconds). This is the only aspect in which my old JVC bests the HK. I own a 1080i Widescreen Samsung, and until now I thought I was simply one of those who did not like a progressive scan image. I thought I would have to upgrade to HD DVD or Blu-Ray to get a satisfying picture. This player has changed all of that. Hooking this player up was remniscent of the first time I heard a cd. The difference in picture quality is that stunning. My HK receiver has been down so I cannot comment on the sound, but I look forward to trying out some Dts and DD test DVD's I have. This player is the best I've used or seen, period. I listed my status as an enthusiast, but I have experience with $8,000 preamps, $20k tube amps, and $150k home theater setups. Picture only being considered, I have never seen a better picture quality from a regular old DVD. I didn't know they could look so good! If you find one (ebay, used shop, etc.) and are replacing a $100-200 player, you may find your jaw dropping at what you've been missing. Highest recommendation. Negatives? -The remote seems more at home with a 19-inch Apex tv than a player of this quality. It is poorly designed and looks like a toy.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by *gearhead* a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
The player has excellent picture quality and great playback. Menus are well laid out and easy to use. Setup was easy (time from out of box to set up for my TV to playing a DVD was about 15 minutes). The remote, on the other hand, needs serious work. Other than the remote, an excellent player.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Submitted by larrimore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
This player is a mixed bag. As a video source, it is one of the best performers I have ever seen. There really must be something to the pixel-by-pixel processing that HK touts. I have both a 106" projector and a 42" plasma that I tried this unit out on and I was simply amazed. The only one I have ever seen come even close with 480p is a $1000+ player with a built-in DCDi interlacer. This player even beats the Denon with HD upconversion that I use in my home theater!
However, as a music source, this player disappoints me. Despite the Wolfson DACs, I A/B tested this one against my Sony and the Denon and it is really forward and accentuates the highs at the expense of a full sounding mid range. If you have a receiver that you can use the digital outs, you will not be using the internal DACs, but I was planning to use this player as a stereo only source for my integrated amp. I just can't do it.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Bernard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
Before buying this unit I had two Toshiba DVD players which were both excellent and highly regarded by the press. When setting out to buy a new player my goal was to get better picture quality and a DVI output for my Sony HD LCD rear projector. Also I did not want to pay Denon prices.
So how did I come to buy the HK DVD 22?
Well, I bought EVERY competing model on my credit card and kept the one I liked best.Well, I didn't but every one. Only the ones I liked and that had gotten good reviews in magazines, etc.
I tried Samsung with DVI outputs(images too dark but amazingly smooth), Sony(good colour but grainy/noisy picture),newer Toshiba (the second best and the best by far if you're on a tighter budget,good colour and smooth image) and of course the HK.
All these players had progressive scan and were the latest models available. The HK did cost more than twice as much as these other models.
Why did I pick it? Well, even though it did not have a DVI output it still had the most grain/noise free image of all. Also the scan lines were almost non existent. When looking at high voltage power lines in the back ground of a movie you could clearly see jagged scan lines running through them with the other models. Only on the HK were the power lines smooth and scan line free.
Also the colour rendition is amazing. I started seing patterns and colours in peoples clothing that I never noticed before on any other player. Simply put, nothing compares to this player without going to much higher priced units from Denon.
The build quality also far exceeds that from it's less expensive competitors. It is a really well built unit. When you plug in high end interconnects the connectors do not bend and wiggle precariously like on the other models.
This is a really nice piece of equipmemnt and I recommend it highly.
I find the colour setting a little too vivid from the factory and set it back one notch.
I also purchased a Monster Ultra 1000 component cable for it which made a noticable difference.
I love this player more every time I watch a movie on it. Don't waste your time, this is the one to get.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by rebelsage a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great picture and even better sound. I plan to use it for both movies and audio. This player handles both remarkably well.

My system: JVC 48WP30, Marantz SR7300, Axiom M22/M2/VP150, SVS 25-31 PC+,

Purchased At:   local retailer

Marantz DV-4500 Or Harman DVD 22 DVD

Hey guys im having trouble deciding on what DVD player to choose, I read thet the Harman Process pixel by pixel and the MArantz Im not sure, There are really far and between reviews on both so Im acking you guys what you prefer on the matter they are both equal in price im looking for the better lif ... Read More »

Marantz dv-4500 or Harmon DVd 22

Harman-Kardon DVD 22

I recently purchased the Harman-Kardon DVD 22 because my old DVD player (Harman-Kardon DVD-5) was unable to play DVDs that were copied using DVD XCOPY (possibly due to incompatiblities with the discs themselves). I do make "archival" copies of DVDs that I have purchased for my own personal use. When ... Read More »

hk dvd 22 or 31

Any body have one, or anything good to say about them. Would the wolfson DAC's be better then the HK 320's for playing music CD's.Read More »

Atlantic Technology: