GE 1105P DVD Players

2.57/5 (82 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

24 bit / 96 KHz

Submitted by Holly a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love my dvd player...I got it as a gift Christmas '99...absolutely no problems, going on 4 years now...yes, it skips on rentals, but that is because people don't know how to handle the dvd without damaging it. This is a great product.

Submitted by JJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
We received the unit as a Christmas gift in 1999. Its served us well over the years, but I agree that the potential for "any" (new or rental) DVD skipping is a problem with this model.

Submitted by Fletcher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
DVD player skips a lot- every time I've ever watched a rental. I used to attribute this to scratches since most of the movies I've rented have been scratched, even though were mostly very light scratches that should have still played. But, when I tried to watch my brand new copy of Lord Of The rings it would frequently skip, and that disc is flawless. But, my biggest problem is that IT ATE A MOVIE! It will still play the movie just fine, but when I try to eject it the tray comes out empty. I've been trying to get it out since yesterday (movie is due today) but with no luck. Went online to search for problems with this player (which is how I ended up here) and it seems that most of the people who bought this unit are dissatisfied (lots of problems with skipping and over-heating), though my problem seems to be unique. Still, this unit is NOT RECCOMMENDED.

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Submitted by Michael Abner a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I don't understand all the complaints. I've owned mine for more than three years and it has never frozen, overheated, or anything. It has been reliable so far and for the price, I got a good deal. For anyone who realy doesn't want to spend a fortune on a DVD player, this is a great choice. It is solid, as far as build quality goes, and has played every movie I've ever rented or bought.

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Submitted by erikmann a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first DVD player. What a mistake. I've had this thing for almost 13 months, and am just now figuring out the player has major problems. See, I bought this unit to mainly rent dvd's versus buying them. So here's my take on how this player has behaved.

Nearly every rented DVD, either skips or freezes in this player. If a dvd has even the tiny-est, most microscopic of superficial scratches, this player either freezes completely, or skips forward 10-15 minutes.

For the longest time I always blamed this on the dvd's i rented, until recently, when I would take these rented dvd's, that skipped and/or froze to friends houses, who had other brands of dvd players. Well guess what? They don't freeze or skip on my friends players! Explain that?

I have 3 movies I've bought on DVD since owning this player. All 3 movies have "0" scratches. This player will play those dvd's flawlessly, with no skipping or freezing. But let's face reality. How many DVD's will a person have to rent, till they find one with absolutely no scratches? And keep in mind, these same rented/scratched dvd's will play fine on several of my friends other brands, but not on mine!

And of course the GE warranty sucks, as mentioned in other reviews here. Here I am 13 months later, have called explained to GE/Thomson that I've just now figured all this out, and they don't care, it's out-of-warranty, and they want $89 to replace/fix it.

To me, this player is useless. It's only good for DVD's a person buys, and is willing to throw away, should they get the slightest scratch.

Also, as mentioned in other reviews here, it has a major heat/ventilation issue. You could fry eggs on the top of this thing. The case literally has no vents for air circulation, or heat to escape. I'm in the process of designing a vent pattern, adding heat sinks to the DSP/Microprocessor (C-Cube Ziva 3?), other hot chips, the EPROM, etc. Heck, I might even add either an intake or exhaust fan, once I figure out how to wire a 12V or 5V, to the weird board, power supply in it. If anyone has tried any of this with any success, please share some details with me.

Purchased At:   Frys - Dallas