Denon DVM-1800 DVD Players

4.21/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

5 disc DVD/CD changer

Submitted by inajeep a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this along with my Denon Reciever 3805 because I wanted an updated DVD player. No review but considered Denon a quality product. Overall I was Ok with the player. I think it was overpriced based on it's features.

Just over a year later DVDs are no longer recognized. Attempted cleaning without good results. I enjoyed it while it lasted but I'm staying away from Denon DVD products.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by mkilgore68 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Top notch product (Denon usually is)
5 star sound quality with 115s/n
Good features easy to use for a piece
with this many features.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by greese a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first DVD player. Overall, the unit works well with DVDs, although the unit will hesitate if the disk is not pefectly clean. The picture and especially the sound quality is excellent. The capability to play CDs is outstanding. I have had several CD players in my time and nothing comes close to the warmth and depth that this unit delivers....I was blown away by the difference.

I do find the unit slow and somewhat noisy as it skips or advances from one disk to another. I have always owned single disk units in the past and perhaps this is normal. I just hope it holds up to common usage. Only time will tell.

In regards to the interface, it is easy to read and use although the remote is way too small and sometimes I will even try to use the thing backwards. I have actuall thought that the unit was not working or responding to the remote untill I realized that I had the remote backwards. Sure my fault, but this does not happen with any of my other remotes, so I will blame it on Denon's terribly small remote.

I don't know if I would pay full price for this unit, but I am overall pleased with my purchase.

Submitted by molex a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, first the good stuff:
TOS-link and Digital Coaxial, multi function (DVD and CD), excellent sound and picture quality, easy to set up, realatively easy to use, quite running, OSD easy to understand.
So why did I give this item a 2 star rating and a 1 star value? Simple: 2 stars because this is a below average product, 1 star for value because if you paid full price you got jacked. Allow me to elaborate:
My problems started with something from inside the unit breaking off, a small piece of plastic. I found it in the CD tray. Unit is still running fine, but this brings up durability issues in my mind. The random mode is difficult to engage (multiple, non-intuitive buttos must be pressed) and is very slow. There can be up to 20 seconds between songs on random. Most importantly so far, this unit DOES NOT play ANY CD-R's. So now I have to buy a new unit to watch my burned Jackass episodes. Grrrrrrrr.
Another problem I have encountered is that frequently (maybe 70% of DVD's) the player will pause briefly in the middle of a movie and then go on. Not a long pause, but certainly long enough to notice. My P.O.S $80 Sanyo DVD didn't do this, AND it played CDR's. Also, the disc tray on the DVM-1800 rattles a lot when you open and close it. This unit is nowhere near as solidly built as my old Onkyo 6 disc changer.
The user interface (the buttons on the unit) are inconveniently placed and again, counter-intuitive. When loading CD's the "skip disc" button only moves one bay at a time, so you have to press it five times to load five cd's. Even my old Kenwood CD-404 would move two bays at a time for faster loading.
Overall I would say that for the price I paid, this is an O.K. unit. If you can find it for $200 or less, go for it. But if you can afford to pay the $500 to $700 this unit usually sells for, you can afford to do some research and buy something much more useable and versatile than this. Sorry Denon, I would not reccomend this product to a friend or buy it again, even for $200.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by willyburz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great DVD player, no prblems.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics