Denon DVD-9000 DVD Players

3.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $3500.00

THX Ultra Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player • THX Ultra Certified • Powered by the latest Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine - highest quality progressive decoding engine available • PureProgressive decoding features high speed ultra-resolution DSP at 6 Billion Operations Per Second (6 GOPS)with 64Mb external SDRAM • 4 fields (2 frames) digital video processing for optimum motion detection and compensation • Accurate 2:3 pulldown detection and reconstruction, even with inaccurately flagged content • Optimum processing for film content, video content, graphics content and mixed-mode content • 12fps(Animation), Video overlay detection and processing

Submitted by RostyVyg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Smart people don’t rush to purchase a car if it is in the first year of production nor do they use any Microsoft product until at least a Service Pack 1 is available. Unfortunately this approach holds true for the high-end consumer electronics, especially the AV equipment that heavily relies on the digital components. When Denon DVD-9000 first appeared in 2002 it brought both high expectations and a few annoying problems. It was a hold no barrels attempt from Denon to humiliate it competitors in the high end DVD players market. And Denon largely succeeded, putting aside some laser pickup quality control issues in the early production run, presence of the “chroma upsampling bug” and/or Y/C delay, and a necessity to upgrade the “Denon Link” along the road to be able to play the copy protected DVD-Audio discs. By the time all these problems have been fixed Denon rushed into production DVD-5900 to keep up with the competition offering the DVI outputs, discontinued the DVD-9000 and later built DVD-3910 to compete with the latest players with HDMI outputs. Unfortunately, the later Denon models scarified on both the build quality and parts quality, and used the Faroudja FLI-2310 deinterlacers/scalers instead of the Silicone Image chip (all recent players utilizing the Faroudja FLI-23xx deinterlacers/scalers are plagued with the “macroblocking” artifact).

There are not too many reviews of the DVD-9000 with the latest hardware/firmware upgrades installed so I decided to fill in the gap.

I have a first-hand experience with two Denon DVD-9000 flagship DVD players. I bought my player used (barely). It was broken – did not respond to the “power” button and the original owner sold it to me for peanuts. Well, his loss - after replacing the internal fuse the player came back to life and I’ve been enjoying it for a few months now.

The second DVD-9000 I know was bought by a friend of mine “B-stock” (refurbished) from eCost.com for $1300 (and this included shipping and additional 4 years warranty!) after he saw my player in action. His unit arrived in the original Denon packaging with the manual and all accessories. We spent quite some time trying to find any cosmetic flaws but could not. No scratch or scuff, no a spec of dust, not even a fingerprint!

I new that DVD-9000 is built to last and weights 40lb, but when I opened my unit for repair I was astonished by the build quality and attention to details. The multi-layer case panels (to reduce the vibrations and EMI), the copper plates separating different circuits, the separate power supplies for digital and analog signals, the audiophile grade capacitors, resistors and DAC’s, you name it… If I had space, I would have replaced the top cover plate with glass and left the player on the top of the rack just to display its guts….

It appears that the designers of this model spent quite some time lovingly finishing the subtle nuances of the human-to-machine interface. When you operate the DVD-9000 you get the same feeling as when riding an expensive luxury car and it shows everywhere. You know what I mean – try to close the door in Ford Taurus and then do the same in Lexus and you would feel the difference even in a sound these two cars make when the door is closed, right? The disc tray in Denon “glides out” so smoothly that I catch myself spending a few minutes now and then just opening and closing it. The feeling of the buttons on the massive black aluminum faceplate is just “right”. The menu navigation speed is the fastest I’ve ever experienced (even the well acclaimed Denon DVD-2900 seems sluggish in comparison to DVD-9000). The layer change is never noticeable. I could go on and on, unfortunately no words can truly explain the feeling I am trying to convey, only the first-hand experience would.

Our players have never exhibited the “chroma upsampling bug ” and the latest firmware upgrade took care of a Y/C delay. As a bonus the new firmware (kindly sent to me from England by another DVD-9000 aficionado) made our players the multi-region ones and enabled the PAL progressive output.

The players so far have played any disc we tried – DVD’s, Video CD’s, recorded DVD’s and Video CD’s, DVD’s with the programs in PAL and in NTSC, DVD’s from region 1, 5 and 3, discs scratched quite badly which other DVD players just could not read, DVD-Audio, etc. No hiccups… Speaking of the recorded DVD’s, it did not matter what color the surface of the DVD-R was.

Purchased At:   private party (broke

Submitted by Rob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Forget everything you might have heard about this piece (the negative stuff at least). The 9000 had some issues out of the gate apparently. The chroma bug and I guess some issues related to bad lasers. There seems to be some lingering negative impressions because of this but throw them out the window if you have one with the problems resolved.

Check the prices that are out there for these refurb or used. Never even put a dvd in the machine and as a standalone redbook player you've gotten a steal. The DA's alone are worth about what I paid for my 9000 .... not the DA's as part of a whole unit ... just the off the shelf chips.

I have two very nice Sony cd players. The xa7es (40 lb redbook class A stereophile component) and the scd-777ES (60 lb class A+ baby brother to the SCD-1). Both are beaten as a standalone redbook machine by the 9000 which is an extremely solid transport but great digital digital section giving it the edge. The 777 is a better transport and I currently use that in conjunction with the denon as an outboard DAC with great results.
DVD quality is exceptional. The picture is so natural and perfectly rendered so you just don't think about it after the first few days of ownership. I'm not as knowledgeable about dvd player but compared it to several in the 1400 - 2000+ range when shopping and the denon was the easy winner.

Pleasssssse do yourself a favor and take a look at this machine if you're in the market for a top flight cd player and/or dvd player and/or dvd-a unit. This is a serious, serious statement piece that was hanstrung by a bad debut. As the refurb and new units that are still available at cut rate prices run out the word will get around and I will be stunned if it doesn't start gaining value on the used market.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by frankie1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just bought the A1 dvd player here in the UK. Very nice player with a lot of good sound output and very good picture displayed on my pioneer plasma 50 inch.

Could not ask for more............

Submitted by jllx a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
VERY solidly built unit, I bought this with high expectations, considering Denon's reputation and my experience with their other products.

This will not happen again...

The video quality was underwhelming...I've never seen a player of this price with the horrible distortions I saw during video playback (not only chroma problems, but pixelation problems, too)...My $149 Sony NS755V has a better video quality, at least without the artifacts of this player!

There were delays at layer change points.

I have now begun to experience random freezes and lockouts with my unit. Denon WILL NOT RETURN MY PHONECALLS. I understand these units are under recall, but I can't even contact Denon to send it back! They tell you to leave a message, then don't return the call...I've done this on three occasions.

Purchased At:   CrazyEddie

Submitted by HiFiHead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well folks, I have just sold my DVD-A1 (the Asian and European version of the Amercian DVD-9000). In a nutshell, an impressively built unit that looks positively stunning but alas there are some problems that 3-6 months of ownership were not able to resolve via Denon themselves. The wait has been too lon for me.

i) The Chroma Bug: Denon have released a fix for it.

ii) The DenonLink protocol that allows the unit to communicae digitally the with the accompanying AVR-5803 (AVC-A1SR) is STILL not fixed (and we're now into December 2002). Denon have released the 2nd upgrade (DenonLink SE.....SE for "Second Edition") which requires Denon themselves to install. They have recalled the units and, in their defence, are doing the upgrades for free. Just dont expect to have either your DVD9000 or AVR5803 for 4-6 weeks as BOTH units need to have the same protocol installed for the Link to work.

iii) ....but wait there's more. Denon have now announced that the laser heads themselves need replacing (along with those on the DVD3800) to fix the Freezing & Lockout issues that have emerged in some players.......and the parts for the fix wont be available until Jan/Feb 2003.

Sorry folks but a bitter disappointment. The unit promised so much but delivered so little. A disgrace really for a "flagship" player from, of all people.....Denon !

Purchased At:   Bangkok, Thailand