Denon DVD-3300 DVD Players

4.23/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

DVD-Video and DVD-Audio player.

Submitted by s Prosser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'd have to say that this is a wonderful unit when i can get it to play which is most of the time. The problem I have is a "no play" issue with newer dvd's. It plays my dvd collection to perfection but newer rentals can't be read and just shows me "no play". I've cleaned, I've unplugged, I've blown hard, even tried changing the region code (which I was unsuccessful at), but nothing works. It's very annoying since I use this as my only dvd player. However, that being said, the sound from this unit on cd's is enough to justify the costs if that's what it becomes, my cd player. If you connect it right with good cables and have a good a/v player and decent speakers, the sound difference over a "store bought" unit is very noticeable. You'll find yourself listening to your favorite cd's on the edge of your seat waiting for your favorite part.

Purchased At:   U-bid

Submitted by upsetdog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for over a year.I found it for almost free on U-Bid. I was putting together my second HT system and wanted a player without a lot of bells whistles(ie cd-r, cd-rw,mp3)I have another player to handle those disk's. DVD-A was something I did want,and this player handle it very well.There is no base management to speak of,but coming thru the Denon 4802,it's very respectable.
But the reason I'm writing this review is for the video end of the unit. I have a widescreen HI-Def tv(Hitachi). DVD's on this thing are pristine.I just bought a Toshiba progressive scan player,and for the life of me I can't see the difference.The Denon is every bit as detailed and clean as the Toshiba.Now I have to say that build and price are in the Denons favor. The Toshiba I got from Best Buy for about a hundred bucks. I can't see a hundred bucks worth of difference. The Denon is just a very,very good video player. I A-B the two using the Lord of the Rings four disk set. Switching between the two players,both using componant cables,the images were clean,detailed and the same.I have not had the problems some others have complained about in this section.My only beef is that the remote SUCKS. This is a quality piece of gear,so I will be taking the Toshiba back and spending the money on movies and music. The 3300 is the best non progressive progressive looking player I've seen.

Purchased At:   U-Bid

Submitted by brianasagi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
My appologies, my below review is for a DVD-2800

Submitted by brianasagi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had good luck with many Denon pieces of equipment and have always just bought there stuff when buying a new piece. I have owned this DVD-3300 unit for about a year. I was having occasional problems with delays between sceens of movies right from the beginning. Not every movie, and only once per movie if it happenned. I don't know if this is the unit switching layers on the dvd? I talked to Denon and they sent me a software upgrade on cd, which automatically installs when you put the disc in. This didn't seem to help. Other then that occasional problem, the player has been great. I don't use it for playing anything other than dvd's so I couldn't tell you about its other features. Denons support was good, I had the upgrade disc within 2 weeks, even though it had no effect on my problem.

Submitted by asciilogic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
the player developed the same problem that
other users have complained about...the
dvd picture breaks into squares like the ones on dss...anyway, i took it into a denon authorized dealer for repair...they
told me it was a bad laser...so i had it replaced...it cost $365 (laser + labor)...
if it's still under warranty...you'll pay nothing...anyway, this post is directed toward those folks with the same problem...

btw, i still think this is a great dvd
player...it plays great now...