Denon DVD-2910 DVD Players

• Multichannel DVD sound
  • HDMI-equipped receiver

Submitted by alimaga a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Denon 2910 because I wanted a universal player that would sound relatively good with all formats. However, I didn't want to shell out over a grand for a player that I may not be happy with and didn't want to deal the hassle of returning....In comes the Denon. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it plays the Redbook format extremely well. The music DVD's are outstanding; can't wait to play the DVD-A format which should yield better audio resolution. The MP3 format generally sound sterile and without body. However, with the Denon it exudes some warmth (cut most of Diana Krall's CDs into one CD with a high VBR setting) much to my surprise....having a number of CDs into one MP3 CD certainly provides convenience. Offcourse for more intense listening, I opt for the CD and now DVDs to do this. Chris Botti's DVD performed in LA is just phenomenal. Alot of air and reflects the size of the arena which I didn't think would be possible. I have played classical music and listen to jazz and attend concerts to keep me in tune for what music is supposed to sound like to these ears.

I am really enjoying the Denon in my dedicated 2 channel listening room. My wife wants me to get me a small LCD panel to enjoy the video part of the Denon since she has seen some of the music DVDs.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by topspeed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've owned various pieces by Denon over the last 20+ years in the hobby, and they have always provided performance and quality far beyond their cost. Being much more into audio than video, when I went shopping for a good universal to tide me over until the BluRay/HD-DVD debacle works itself out, Denon was the first to come to mind as they rarely skimp on the audio side, unlike most of their contemporaries. The 2910 was up to the challenge.

The first thing I noticed about the Denon is its sheer girth. This is a quality piece and it feels like it! The chassis is very well built complemented by a thick, gleaming brushed aluminum face plate. It feature a detachable power cord and sturdy RCA binding posts. Opening the tray is like a watching a vault door slowly open. You can tell the transport has been optimized for stability and resistance to vibration. In fact, a review in Secrets of Home Theater has pics comparing the completely isolated transport in the 2910 versus a competitors. The difference is easily recognizable, but all that stability comes at the cost of speed. It's not as slow as grass growing, but Speedy Gonzales certainly has nothing to worry about either.

Audio processing is handled via high grade Burr-Brown DAC's that have discrete DSD processing for SACD. There is not DSD-PCM conversion, which many lower grade DAC's provide. The sound is smooth, warm, and highly musical. I've always preferred the way Denon handles rbcd's, expecially when compared to Sony or Yamaha, both of which can be a bit sterile and cold for my tastes. There is a programmable Pure Direct function that allows the user to shut down auxilary functions such as video processing and even the front panel display. Once engaged, the sound becomes more analog in nature with better body and weight. Dropping in hi-rez material such as John Mayer's Heavier Things SACD proves the worth of these formats. The snare has even more body and snap and his voice has more depth. I'm certainly no wordsmith, so sufficeth to say everything simply sounds more natural. This is no small thing considering the standard rbcd of Heavier Things is reference quality and easily on of the cleanest, most unmolested recordings out there. Separation on multichannel sources is very convincing, although most of this can be attributed to the recording and not the player. If I could change anything, it would be for Denon to include the DenonLink which allows you to use a single cable, instead of 6, to connect the player to a Denon AVR for hi-rez playback. For this luxury, you are currently forced to step up to the 2.5 X as expensive 3910.

On the video side, Denon employs Faroudja processors. With that decision comes the infamous spectre of MacroBlocking. On certain displays, MB can be a real problem, which is why you'll find Silicon Image or Teranex processors on the higher models. However, the key here is "certain displays." Did I see MB on my LCoS? Yes, although it was easily minimized with some easy tweaking.* Once dialed in, the picture is as good as I've seen. Blacks are rendered with authority and grey levels are excellent. There was no artifacting visible in high action movies such as SW3:ROTS. It simply presents a very cinematic picture.

*A side note on this: The 2910 is highly configurable, to the point that if you don't know what you're doing you can easily make it worse instead of better. If you're a videophile, this is a boon. If you're not, it can be a curse. If you find you need to access the submenu's be ready to have a calibration disc handy and enough time to do it right.

From the point of sound quality, I doubt you could do better at twice the price. Seriously, it's that good. Video quality is excellent, but not superior to some Panny's or Sony's I've seen. However, you would invariably be sacrificing sound quality with either of those units, which is something I am unprepared to do. Overall this is a very strong performer, especially at this price point, and certainly worth an audition.

Purchased At:   Tour de Force

Submitted by natal000 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have been a AudioPhile/Enthusiast for about 30 years now and Have to say that this is the most satisfying product I have purchased to date. The video especially via HDMI is absolutly first rate. The audio quality whether it be SACD, DVDA, DVD, or CD is superb with excellent surround sound characteristics. The build quality is also excellent and I especially likle the fact that it has a detachable IEC Type power cord which allows you to use aftermarket cables such as Audioquest (Highly Rcommended). With all due respect to the negative reviewers, they are simply wrong!! Denon has done it again!!!

Purchased At:   The Great Indoors

Submitted by DrMark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace my older DV-37 Pioneer due to the upconverting to 1080i. I bought a 73" Mit TV and needed the higher resolution. Love the sound and picture. 1 issue I have, this unit is locked to region 1 and of 8 DVD's I tried to play only 2 would play. I have a library of 500+ DVD's most from Best Buy, The Cave will not play, says wrong Region. Back this player goes, I love it and will be sorry to see it go. To bad the manufacturers are more worried about theft of movies than sales to legitemite customers.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by masmusic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
WOW!! What a machine!! I purchased this unit soley for DVD Audio and SACD & HDCD. No disapointment whatsoever. Plays all three media's without a single clitch. The DVD picture is clean and sharp. The loading of a DVD/CD could be faster. For the money and the potential this unit offers it is well worth the money. The amount paid is in cdn $$$

Purchased At:   Lipton's Newmarket O