Denon DVD-2200 DVD Players

4.17/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

DVD player.

Submitted by smitty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
remember you can only buy this used now,for a song may I add.$62 on ebay !
I am able to get around to the layers on sacd and dvd-audio without a video monitor.Cd play back is somewhere between good to above average.I bought to hear not to watch so no comment on video.It's not dethroned the old adcom 600 or the up sampling musical fidelity,but the rest of your system better be very good or you'll think you have arrived.

Submitted by avr2600 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Rather good for CDs.
Does NOT really read SACDs
Reads only 50% of DVDs
If it's warmed up after watching one DVD you have to wait for an hour or two for the device to cool down to watch the next film
Does not read DVD-R/DVD+R
First I adored it for great sound, then it became a GREAT disappoitment

Purchased At:   M-Video

Submitted by 20to20K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have to say that this product was a bit of a disappointment to me. As a long time Denon fan I was immediately attracted to this model hoping it would fill all my audio and video needs for my new media room. After 6 months of use I have to call it a mixed bag.

The video reproduction is very good...far exceeding any DVD player I've ever owned. Having said that I've only previously owned a bargain basement Samsung and a middle of the road Hitachi.
The DVD-A and SACD sound is excellent. It looks nice and was fairly easy to setup.

Now the bad...

The CD playback is not what I would expect of the Denon brand. Not very detailed...very bland. Sounds like a Best Buy bargain player. The functions are below par as well. Your inability to cue up tracks prior to play is annoying as is the bizzare scanning behavior on CD's. I've had $50 portables that do a better job of both. It also has a loud and clunky drawer and takes forever the the disks to load up.

I've not had any functional problems with the unit so the build quality appears to be fine, but I already find myself in the market for a dedicated CD player to improve on redbook CD playback
sound quality and functionality and I'll probably just use this unit as an overpriced DVD player since I don't listen to DVDA and SACD that much anyway.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by kuropasa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the DVD-2200 based on Denon's reputation of quality. I will say the quality of the audio and video was very good. The build quality is NOT. After a mere 15 months the device has failed. The motor that drives the disks no longer operates. Additionally, Denon only carries a 1 year warranty on their DVD players. Interestingly enough another Home Theater Spot forum has a number of posts where the disks fails to load.

While the player was working the video quality was very nice. Audio was fantastic (although the DVD-5900 would be even better). SACD and DVD-A creates a beatiful audio environment.

Unless Denon can improve on build quality, I would not recommend this entry-level universal player. Hopefully their higher-tier products last longer. If not, I would look to Marantz or Pioneer Elite.

If the player was still operational, I would have rated the player with 5 Stars overall and 4 stars for Value. Its not fair to give it 1 star, since I enjoyed it while it lasted. Alas, now I must purchase another player. I doubt it will be another Denon due to this problem. Maybe I was just unlucky. :-(

Purchased At:   Reliable Audio/Video

Submitted by tomh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've owned this player for over a year and just bought a Denon DVD-2900 on close out today. After comparison to the Denon 2900 and my Sony SCD C555 ES, a Stereophile class A component, here are some comments.

The DVD2200 is almost identical to the DVD2900 in all respect except for the build weight. Both player have excellent video, SACD and DVD quality. The Sony has a smoother yet more transparent sound than either of the Denon units but lacks DVD capability. Also the Sony is more refined on CD playback than the Denon units. The Denons are reasonablity good. I did a lot of listening and the Denon 2200 CD playback is slightly more transparent and open than the 2900. The 2900 is slightly darker and slower sounding.

Purchased At:   Tweeter