Denon DVD-1930CI DVD Player DVD Players

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The DVD-1930CI is endowed with technology to unleash the full impact of DVD Video picture quality. The DVD-1930CI also uses 11-bit, 216-MHz video D/A converter to faithfully preserve the delicate low-level signals often lost during D/A conversion. With these advanced video image technologies, the DVD-1930CI will reproduce with the highest resolution, DVD images on Progressive-compliant monitors and projectors. In addition to these features, the DVD-1930CI’s HDMI port supports multichannel DVD-Video and DVD-Audio output when connected to HDMI compliant equipment. For sound, it is high quality audio D/A conversion and Digital Bass Management that will bring out the best of not only Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio discs, but your entire CD collection as well.

Submitted by KPChoong a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Having bought a new Infocus DLP projector, I felt the need to upgrade my old Pioneer Progressive Scan DVD Player to a player able to take advantage of the higher resolution of the Infocus. The current HD format war between HD and Bluray confuses the whole purchase decsion, and I am sure most will be undecided which way to go. In the interim, therefore, an upconverting DVD Player seems the logical route, and since Denon has chalked up an enviable reputation for good DVD players, I decided to settle on one such players. Initially, I bought the DVD1730 which has been rated 5Stars in AV review elsewhere, and though reasonably satisfied with it's performance, I changed it for the DVD1930 for the well-known and established Faroudja DCDi processing chip. Performance was significantly better on the DVD1930 - colors were better defined and possess more depth, edges sharper, and generally more "movie" like. Was the DVD1930 worth the price which is double of the 1730? If you include upscaling to 1080p, I'm of the opinion that the money's well spent until a clear and decisive winner emeges from the current format war. Unfortunately, as I write, the DVD1930 has been superceded by the DVD1940 which incorporates a newer 12-bit video process chip, but in a review in a UK magazine, though the dvd performance might have marginally improved, the results were not so with the dvd audio part of the package. Anyway, the comparision is moot as the DVD 1930 will no longer be available.

Purchased At:   KL MY

Submitted by Sammy J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded my whole system to a Yamaha RXV-659 and Infinity Primus 360's and 150's , so I thought it was time for a new CD/DVD player too. Using it mainly for audio I wanted SACD and DVD-A too and this Denon was among the cheapest I saw, and then found refurbished for $220 WITH a factory warranty, so it was really an easy choice.

For audio it is less bright and harsh than my Phillips DVD941 ( which really does sound very good) with a much more analog type sound in comparison. Cymbals and sibilance are less harsh and grainy the way digital can be, it almost sounds more like I hooked up a good turntable in the way that vocals are warmer and there is better bass, however there seems to be a slight veiled quality to the upper mids. I suspect that may be deliberate on Denons part to take the digital edge off of the signal. I'm getting very good soundstaging with more depth and this is just with regular CD's. So far I've only listened to 3 SACD's and the dynamics, openness and incredible soundstage are such that I have nothing to compare them to. Two are jazz and one rock (Pink Floyd DSOTM 5.1 surround) and they sound fantastic....worth the price of admission alone.

Video, while not my biggest concern is also a step up from the 7 year old Phillips and images are very sharp and clean with no issues detected so far.

Overall this has been a great upgrade and a complete no brainer for the price. Even at the new unit price of $350 I'll bet this player will easily stand up to others in it's class.

Purchased At:   Dakmart