Denon DVD-1600 DVD Players

4.53/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

DVD-Audio/Video Progressive Scan Player • Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja decoding engine • DVD-Audio with Bass Management, 100Hz crossover point • Plays CD/VCD/CD-R/CD-RW Discs, *DVD-R Conditionally • MP3 Decoder for encoded CD-R/RW Discs • 10-bit, 54-MHz Video DAC • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs • 3MB Memory Buffer to decrease layer change pauses or pickup dropouts • Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts and DVD-Audio decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • PCM, DD, dts compatible Optical Digital Output • Component, S-Video and Composite(2) video outputs • Passes Below Black(Pluge) for proper Monitor Calibration • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3.2"h x 9.9" d

Submitted by boxand1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of this player. My first was early in my ownership and use. I have now had this for 3 or 4 years and, aside from the layer change problem (noted below), the unit perform quite well! I didn't buy this for perfect layer changes... in fact, I went in knowing it was a problem. I purchased the unit in response to reviews on this site, and a professional review on http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/denon-dvd-1600-6-2002.html

They noticed the layer change issue as well, and it is rather annoying. However, the image quality is excellent and, at least for me, makes up for the layer change (occurs once per disc). The DVD-Audio is a nice feature, but there aren't too many discs out there, so I wouldn't buy it for this feature alone.

I know the Denon 3910 is supposed to be superior--so if you are looking at this for advice and have money to spend, that's the place to look next. If you are on a budget, you can't beat the Oppo http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=124#Oppo%20DigitalOPDV971H%20(DVI)

So that's my 2 cents after 3-4 years. If you're looking for a new DVD player the Denon 3910 (if you have a room full of money), or the Oppo (if you're budget-minded and want price-performance and options). If you currently own the DVD 1600, I would suggest keeping it until HD DVD/ Blue Ray is solidified and the prices drop.

Cheers--

boxand1

Purchased At:   www.ecost.com

Submitted by rcpmax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the unit in part because of Denon's reputation. I have to say that that reputation - in my eyes - is somewhat diminished after having used this product for 11 months. I though that the 3MB buffer would eliminate the interruption as the laser switches layers but I have found that that is simply not true. I still see and hear a noticable delay. This is not because of a cheap disc either. For example, this delay shows up on the Star Wars II DVD - about as high quality as you can get - ya' know, it being THX certified and all that stuff.

The laser pickup takes too long to access even the very next track - all accompanied by the short 'whirring' and 'clunking' noises. The spindle motor also 'clicks' along as it plays the disc. These noises are unsatisfactory, especially given the fact that I have never heard them on any of my previous three DVD players - all Yamaha units.
I do not like the fact that this unit will not display the Album and Song Titles that are on the mp3 discs. The Sony unit in my car does this and allows you to scroll to the Album, then the Song that you want. This Denon unit requires you "to just know" that the song you want is number 62, or 98, or 104, etc.

Nit-picking: I think that the little red LED that tells you that the unit is in Standby when the unit is off is just an annoying waste of time and engineering effort. I know when the unit is off because the fluorescent diplay is blank when the unit is off! Also, the LEDs for progressive scan & audio only are too bright. I have toned them down by painting them with a black Sharpie.

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I think the little 1600 does offer very nice video and audio for the price but found the fact that there are basically no video adjustments in progressive mode and no coaxial digital out to be rediculous for a 550.00 list player.

The first 1600 I bought worked fine for a month and then it failed to read any discs.
The second 1600 I bought seem to play fine for a few days and then it read H02 error on the display and refused to work.

I did get the second player to work again whithout the H02 code after unplugging the player for 10 minutes.
The H02 code, along whith the first units refusal to play any disc made me search for another dvd player and finnally I found a Phillips 963sa had even better video and audio performance than the 1600.

I did try 5 other players before finding one that was good enough to replace the 1600 though.

I am going to have to take away 1 star for dependebility and 1 for not having any video adjustments in progressive mode or coaxial digital out.
I will also have to take away another star for finding a player that lists for 50.00 less that outperforms the 1600 and has lots of adjustments and a dgital coaxial out.

Purchased At:   Classic stereo

Submitted by Ron Kellog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Got the refurb and lovin it!

I agree with all the positives regarding picture and sound quality.

I will add that my MP3s sound great even when I listen via the optical to my technics SHAC500D....I know this player has great DACs...but I use all seperates...and my fronts run off an old Luxman M02/C02...No remote volume ;o)

I've used it quite a bit on many DVDs and and no gliches...any layer change pauses were very few and hardly noticed.

Purchased At:   eCost

Submitted by gblunk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this unit on clearance, minus remote. I replaced a Sony DVP-NS715 progressive scan player. The difference was noticeable and not subtle immediately. The picture in progressive mode is very clear and crisp. Audio is much clearer as well.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys