Arcam DV88 DVD Players

4.45/5 (33 Reviews)

DVD player with component video outputs

Submitted by holbob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the DV88 last autumn as a "one-box solution" selling my Marantz cd player, and my Sony dvd player. The sound from the analogue outputs is superb, and is the reason I bought it. The picture quality was adequate, though when it came out it was very good. It wasn't as good as the Sony in that area.

Purchased At:   Digital Direct

Submitted by bbolival a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm writing a review about the CD player capabilities of this DVD-CD player offering from Arcam. I have an Arcam DV88 which i bought over at Audiogon for $700. Reading through the reviews of the DV88, most have claimed that the CD72/CD72T sounds a tad better than the DV88. I think this claim might have been clouded by bias that stand-alone CD players is better than DVD players. I happen to have an Arcam CD72 in my rack so one day i tried comparing the quality of the sound of the DV88 and the CD72 without bias. I used several CDs from different musical genres for my test (name it: jazz, classical, pop, rock, downtempo, electronica) and I was surprised to discover that the DV88 beat the CD72 hands down ! The DV88 produced better air, detail, and pace compared to my CD72. Listening to Cds using my DV88 was more enjoyable than listening to my CD72. Reading more about the DV88, I discovered that this player had Wolfson DACs compared to the CD72 Burr-Browns. If you have been following the development of Arcam's products, Arcam now claims that the Wolfson DACs are one of the best in the world today. Moreover, they have have started equipping their new models (CD73, CD93, and CD33) with Wolfsons! As a footnote, the highly acclaimed CD82T happens to be equipped with Wolfson DACs as well.

So if you are on a budget and in the hunt for a DVD player that produces high quality CD playback, the Arcam DV88 delivers. And mind you, there is no need for a CD72 or CD 73 whatsoever.

I consider the Arcam CD72 as a good CD player but my listening experience tells me that the DV88 is better than it. If you are an owner of both the DV88 and a CD72/72T player do the test yourself and im sure you will agree with me (just make sure you use the analogue outputs and not the digital outputs).

Equipment used for the test:

Mission 783 speakers (bi-wired)
Arcam DV88 DVD player
Furman Power Conditioner

Purchased At:   www.audiogon.com

Submitted by Adrian Parker a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
When my Micromedia died I was faced with having to buy another combi DVD CD player. Arcam FMJ or DV88+ where the choices. I plumbed for the DV88+ so that I can buy a separate CD player later. Was i disapointed - NO. In fact very surprised. After making a trip to collect a new set of Chord Company cables (Interconnects Digiatal and S Cable) I can say that when connected to the Yamaha AX1 and Ruark surround sound system (Chord Company speaker cable all round miles of the stuff) I have a sound that makes me feel young again. It is bright and honest, positively alive and fab really. Well worth the wait - well done Arcam and Chord Company (my old interconnects had faded).

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks HiFi

Submitted by Phill Marley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
A fantastic DVD player, extremely capable in audio as well. Well worth auditioning if you have the money, a massive step up from cheaper players. This player will amaze you with the quality of its pictures, and delight you with the quality of its sound when paired with the right kit. It plays almost everything you can put in it, is multi-region, and looks stunning too, especially when alongside other units from Arcam.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence

Submitted by Pants a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
A superbly built piece of equipment. Very heavy, although this could just be a couple of lead weights in the bottom to make you feel like you have brought something expensive, it really does add to the quality feel of the DVD player.

TARA LABS: