Aiwa XD-DV170 DVD Players

• S-video output
  • 86 khz/24-bit audio DAC

Submitted by machani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is really my first DVD player, which I picked up in Hong Kong International Airport. At the time, the $240 US (approximate) I paid was quite decent for a DVD player.

The good thing about this player is it region free - so I can play DVDs from anywhere in the world. It is Dolby Digital/DTS capable and has digital optical out. I use this mainly in conjunction with my Infocus X1 projector, connected via S-Video. Since the Infocus X1 has a built in Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer, the combination works really well. It puts out clear and crisp video with the S-Video out. It has tons of features built in, such as angle selection, zoom, and fast search. Since it is connected to our JVC RX-6030 receiver via digital optical cable - the digital (DD/DTS) sound quality is not bad at all. After nearly three years of use this player still continues to perform and impress, so much so that I have it dedicated to my Infocus X1 home theater projector.

On the downside, it gives read errors with certain DVDs and VCDs (usually the ones having some format glitches). Thankfully, those disks are easily played with my Panasonic F87.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong Intl. Airp