Toshiba HD-A2 Blu-Ray

4.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

HD-DVD High Definition DVD Player. Upscales conventional DVDs to HD as well.

Submitted by jwh2323 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
First reviewer breaks down the price factor very well. In the end, you're paying less than a hundred bucks for the player if you manage your rebates well. And that's where I want to comment here: How is this thing as a standar DVD player? I have a 40" Samsung LCD, and so with low rez dvds the artifacts are easy to recognize. I had a sweet Denon player - their midline universal, sells for 800 - and my wife loved it. Great picture, great image quality during action scenes. During pastoral moments landscape looked rich and beautiful. But through the AD-H2, there were some artifacts. Some flesh tones that seemed too white and too yellow. There's that scene in Pride and Prejudice when Mr. Clemons is walking up to the party at night, and there's a lot of candle and firelight, and the artifacts were many with the Ad-H2.

But that was only for about a month. We started playing the same movies that gave us trouble - Rocky 1, Pride and Prejudice, Master and Commander - and noticed that the blacks had settled down, flesh tones looked good. I hooked up the Denon now and then to play sacds and would test/compare it. We weren't dreaming.

The AD-H2 is a very, very, very solid standard DVD player. I love Hd on it. But unless you're going to drop 800+ bucks on a standard dvd player, you're not going to find a dvd player with much better picture. And I'm on a forty-inch LCD.

One last thing: two channel dvd soundtracks are good, better, I thought, than my Denon's two channel with DVD. Excellent bass, actually, and mids are great. I have wonderful ampage, too, but the player does it's job well. And even though you only get "core" of the hi-def tracks, maybe I'm crazy but core sounds dang good. Better than standard dd or dts.

Purchased At:   Best Buy (Yes I did)

Submitted by nedfp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Just got the unit unpacked and pluged in. Initial take on the unit is positive. I do not have a 1080P tv, and thus was not looking for a full 1080P player. I also do not have Dolby DigitalHD, so once again, did not need the best audio section. I bought the unit as a replacement for a SD DVD player. So far, it has surpassed all expectations.

I have played HD-DVDs and SD DVDs and can definitely say that there is a great improvement over my other players (H/K, JVC, LG, and Samsung). I have it connected to a 50" Sony Grand Wega in 1080i mode using a HDMI to DVI-D cable. Audio is via TOSLINK to an H/K 525.

Up conversion is a great improvement over my older players. Component v. DVI-D may be part of it, but also the scaler may be a part of it too. HD-DVDs look fantastic, much better than my COX HD service.

For what I paid, it is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. The unit listed for $299, but price matched Best Buy Sale price of $249. This week's promotion incuded a $100 gift card, making the unit $149. Toshiba threw in 5 free movies (5 @ $25 = $125) also. Net price is $25. United gave me 2000 frequent flyer miles for joining Netflix (they are the only on-line renter of HD-DVD). Got another 5 free movies from Toshiba with the purchase of my new laptop (5 @ $25 = $125). True price, they paided me $100 to buy it.

Run, don't walk. This is a great deal.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Josh a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
This was my first HD DVD player. I purchased it along with a 32" Samsung LCD tv. It performed nicely in playing movies - regular dvd's looked fantastic and HD (of course) even moreso. I wound up returning it, however, because of small quibbles I don't think a $400 dvd player should have. First of all, it takes at least 15-20 sec to power on. During this time you can't open the dvd tray or do anything else with it. Also, I might have gotten a lemon, but at least one time per movie the player would drop the audio when it switched chapters. I would have to rewind to the start of the chapter for the player to pick up the audio again. With the pace at which HD players are coming down in price, I will wait and purchase a newer model.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Rich H a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a great product. I purchased a Pioneer Pro 1140 and needed an upconverting DVD player. The salesman at Tweeter recommended the HD-A2 and I decided to take a risk. Once it was all setup, I put in the HD-DVD version of the Corpse Bride -- My Goodnes. The advertisements are real. The picture quality of HD-DVD is perfection. I was absolutly blown away by the quality. I will be purchasing many more HD-DVDs as soon as I can. The difference is incredable. Owners of high definition televisions owe it to themselves to check out this technology.

The up conversion was very good as well. I have no real basis of comparison with other machines, but an upconverted DVD looked at least as good as a standard DVD played on my old WEGA. Pretty sharp with great color presentation. One thing of note on upconversion. The Pioneer has a resolution of 768 or so scan lines. When I first upconverted, I had the A2 set to its max resolution of 1080i. This was a big mistake and the picture was horrible. The manual notes to set the output resolution to match your TV. When I set it up properly, it looked very good.

Purchased At:   Tweeter Audio

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying I've had experience with the HD-A1, HD-XA2 and Sony's BDP-S1. The HD-A2 is of course the "value" player in HD DVD's arsenal, but it's performance would make you think otherwise. The upconverting ability of this player is second only to the XA2 in the sub-$1000 range.

This unit has been completely problem free for me, not even freezing up on any movie to date. The DD TrueHD tracks are also something to behold if you have an HDMI capable receiver. Overall, this is a very solid unit for its purchase price even if it were only an upconvert player.

My only complaint about this player is the lack of 1080p output, however that is included with the slightly more costly players. In truth however, I really don't see it as a major problem as generally speaking 1080i flips to 1080p rather nicely.

Purchased At:   Best Buy