Home | Reviews | Blu-Ray | Sony

• Xross Media Bar technology
  • BRAVIA Sync

Submitted by MARK HARD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE BDP-S370. We have only had this for a short time and our first blu ray as we have a Sony 36' CRT tv....the last one Sony made which can take up to 1080i as there is no LCD,LED,PLASMA, out there that we like that can show flesh tones or sports content as good as this tv...but some come close... Anyway we brought this for $190 just to see if there is much of a difference to our three year old Panasonic DVD Recorder.This tv has no hdmi only component using QED signager,their best ever made.The blu ray material is outstanding, the picture is very clear and almost 3D like with no outside edging at all. We watched Aleins vs Predators and we able to read the main female charactors ski google brand name very clearly and see a pimlpe on the right side of her face which we had no noticed on DVD,and the scrace on her face also had more detail and depth to it. The sound is abit of a mixed bag, the low/sub end has more authority to it as the aliens foot steps did have a really pissed off attatuide about them when she was first releast from the chains. The top end and mid range sound good also but do not merge together as good as our DVD player.We also played this DVD in the Blu Ray to confirm sound and picture. The DVDs played are also a mixed bag as some looked outstanding like Avatar and others like Planet Earth which up scaled to 1080i seemed to be more glossy as opposed to a more matt look through our DVD player.There is also some pause issues due to layering ect with DVDs .We also prefer the sound from our DVD player, this maybe a Sony thing not a Blu Ray thing.We also noticed abit of screen shake as well which was distracting at times. Our setup is a Rotel 5.1 pre with a Rotel 5 channel power amp,a What Hi Fi 5star group winner connected with all AQ King Cobra with INOX optical and coaxil. This would make a good player in a budget setup.

Submitted by 3db a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is my 1st BluRay player. I use it as my upconverting DVD player and my CD player as well. Loading standard DVDs is very fast and the picture quality of the up conversion is very clean and crisp with no artifacts that I can see. It does an exceelent job. It also works very well as a CD player. As a Blu Ray player, it also does an excleent job of present ing a detailed sharp well fleshed out picture. The loadtimes based on the latest Star Trek movie is some what long but not as long as others that I have read about. The menu system for this player is straight forward and it took me very little effort to get aquainted with it after just having replaced my Samsung up converitn DVD player. I cannot comment on teh network portion of its capabilities as I do not use them. Its strictly used as a stand-alone player.

The build quailty seems to bevery good. Althoug light, it feels well put together with no chassis flex or "hollow" sound as I slid it onto the audio shellf. The manual is ok adequately explaining ts feature but it doesn't go into deep detials about each feature.

My biggest disappointment is its remote. Its not backlit, buttons are small and arranged awkwardly.

For $149.00 Cdn, its a great value.

Submitted by Bappy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
It is a fine Bulray/DVD player. I had Denon 2930 before and it beats Denon with every respect. Its picture quality is very nice, no jaggis and no picture noise as well. Beautiful three dimensional picture. DVD upscaling is also very very good. Sony has done it again. Thanks Sony.

Product model year:   2009