Sharp BD-HP21U AQUOS BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER BD-HP21U Blu-Ray

Submitted by cvcardillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Having owned very expensive audio equiptment, I think I have a good understanding of how things should work and play. I recently purchased a LCD television and did not own a blu-ray player. I bought on impulse, which I never do, because I could not pass this deal. $149.00 from a major retailer w/ warrantee.
Construction is a little weak, but overall for what I paid it seems to be fine. After trying to play Twilight on blu ray, to no avail, I searched online to see what the problem was. I had to download an update via Sharps website and load onto this player. After that was done, it worked flawlessly. My existing discs even looked better. I asked a friend to bring his pioneer blu ray player to the house so we can compare. "Chronicles of Narnia" actually looked better on this player. I have seen this slammed in many reviews, but honestly, I think its a matter of updating the software which took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish. For arounnd 200 bucks, I would recomment this player. Especially with an Aquos TV...one remote is nice. Set up via HDMI was simple, manual reads easily and the gloss black looks good w/ most new tvs. Eventually this will go in my sons room, but for now, I am enjoying it.

Product model year:   2009