Panasonic DMP-BD60K Blu-ray/DVD Player Blu-Ray

Submitted by GeologistGene a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Panasonic BD60K and BD605 are the same, I think.
I installed the BD605 yesterday in a matter of minutes. I connected it to a two-year old Sony home theater in a box with a fiber optic cable and with an HDMI cable to my fairly new 1080 LCD monitor. I put the included batteries in the simple remote and pluged the unit in a UPS power supply. I use a UPS battery backup for the automatic voltage regulation as much as the surge protection. I inserted a Blu-Ray disc and set the Sony HT input for the correct audio input (Video 1 in this case albeit only the audio is used) and set the monitor to the correct video input (V1 button on the monitor remote in this case) to the LCD monitor.
I like the many input formats on this Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Having a USB port and SDHC input slot on the front is really handy. It plays MP3 audio and JPEG videos. Neat. It does not have a I-Pod dock, but most recent home theaters in a box do.
The Blu-Ray picture quality is excellent. And since most Sony HT in a box provide good sound, I am happy. I do not think my HD satellite input signals on the same monitor do not match the video quality.
I have two more 42-inch monitors and may purchase a couple of Blu-Ray HT's in a box for them (i.e. Panasonic SC-BT200), if it evercomes available, the Sony BDV-E300. These sound like great deals for less than $600. I still have a large, 12-year old component system with Boston Acoustic speakers, but seldom use it. The quality of sound from a home theater in a box has gotten better in the last few years else I've gotten older with fading ears.

Product model year:   2009