Oppo Digital BDP-93 Blu-Ray

Oppo's newest Blu ray player/ universal player

Submitted by Maggieguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Prior to buying the Oppo BDP-93 I was using an LG570 for my bluray/audio needs. After reading reviews and searching for a quality universal player I decided to go with the Oppo. Packaging was fantastic and build quality is obvious. I have the Oppo going into a TLP-1 Preamp, wyred4sound sx-1000 dual mono's and magnepan 3.6 speakers. Even using the same disks, files, blurays etc... the Oppo is dramatically better in every regard to the LG. When playing SACD's, flacs and LPCM audio the quality is fantastic and a HUGE improvement. I finally feel that I am reaching the potential of both the amps and speakers. I never dreamt that two bluray players could be so different in performance. The Oppo has flawlessly played every format I have thrown at it and is very quick to load and play files. I have it hooked up with an HDMI for the picture and stereo analogue out for the audio. With the pure audio feature I can now use it as a standalone player and leave the TV off, something I was unable to do before.
Overall I am absolutely thrilled with the purchase and completely satisfied with my setup. NO more searching for me.

Submitted by ianwrd4 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
There is only word that can describe the OPPO BDP-93 and that is ' awesome '. This truly is a fantastic machine which has been carefully thought out and brilliantly engineered!! At the moment I can find NO negative points with this device. Blu-Ray Playback is flawless,SACD reproduction is outstanding along with standard CD playback. DVD up scaling is top class. Both picture and audio is outstanding!! I have added a docking station via E-sata, and this accommodates my numerous HDD's. The OPPO plays these files effortlessly and leaves my DVICO TVX Media player needing a new home!!! The device also includes in the box a WI-FI dongle, and this is a breeze to set up and connect to your wireless network (takes less than 5 minutes) Also in the box (unlike most other manufacturers) is a HDMI 1.4a cable (I think in Europe 2 cables are included, not sure as I'm in Asia) And of-course the units 2 HDMI connections makes it possible to use your old (not HDMI 1.4 equipped) AV amplifier!!
Well done OPPO for giving us a truly awesome machine . . . . . .
Ian Ward

Submitted by dpl35 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just received the new Oppo BDP-93 blu ray/ universal player. I’ve only used it for about 10 days, but I have to say this player is truly awesome. I’ve used may DVD players, but this one is probably the best I’ve ever used. I played the Eagles farewell DVD, filmed in Australia. This DVD is very well recorded, and a good test disc. I know this sounds hacky, but I promise it’s true. I’ve played this DVD a hundred times in the past on a variety of players, but on the Oppo I heard parts of songs that I never heard before. Lightly struck cymbals, acoustic guitar, came through with the Oppo, just stunning.

CD playback is excellent as well, just as good as my old Cary DVD 6. Everything you throw at this player is just handled very well. If you are in the market for a blu ray player, you really cannot go wrong with this player, highly recommended.

Wood Technology: