Kenwood HTB-401
Description: Hometheater in a box

Submitted by Brent Rockwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really like this system. I don't find it underpowered at all. I used it outside at a pool party and at -17db it had no problem filling the neighborhood with music. In my apartment, I can irritate neighbors two floors in either direction. At US$600 it's one of the best values I've ever seen!

I may, however, upgrade to the 1999 model VR-309 for the extra digital inputs and DTS support.

Submitted by Doug Wodke a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have the HTB-401 and am somewhat pleased with it.I have a tight bugdet and have been waiting for a home theater in a box that is Dolby Digital to come out.I went to circuit city and listend to four differant systems.Two dolby digital and two prologic.The clear winner was the Kenwood.I listend to JBL,Infinity,and Sony.My room that it is in is 12ft by 25ft in my basement and it will nock the pictures off the wall,literally!I plan on adding monster cable somtime,which Im sure will increase clarity cause the cables that came with it are cheap.For now it suits me just fine especially for $600.In the future I plan on upgrading when technoligy improves and prices go down,but for now I have a system that suits me jist fine.The only thing I dont like about it is the center channel which is only a one way speaker but it does OK.

Submitted by John M. a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
This system actually comes with the VR208, not the VR209 as stated in the previous review. I've owned this system for the last few months. I guess if the room is pretty small, this system would sound ok, but in a larger room, the power output is not nearly enough (50 X 5 in surround mode). The subwoofer is pretty nice, and gives some good low frequency output, but the rest of the speakers are mediocre at best. This sytem would be ok for someone new to home theatre who wants dolby digital, doesnt want to spend a lot of money, and is not that concerned about the low output.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Itsik a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:
I'm really interested in this Home Theater system. As I understand it's quite hard to find it in the states due to high demand.I know it's based on the Kenwood VR-209 receiver which gives very good quality for its price.
Did anyone manage to purchase that system and try it ?
So far I found a comparison on CNET.com in which the HTB-401 came out as the winner !
Check it at http://www.cnet.com/Content/Gadgets/Guides/Theaterinabox/index.html