Jensen JF40
Description: Open-Air Headphones w/ Volume Control, Mute, and Gold Plated Plug with a 1/4" Stereo Adaptor..

Submitted by moly1769 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I decided to take a gamble on these when I was looking for a higher end set of headphones. I was afraid that because of their low price the performance would suffer, but after breaking them in with some pink noise and plenty of listening I have really come to love this set! When I first got them I thought they were immidiately too bright, but after 30 hours or so of operation the harshness has totally gone away and everything sounds perfectly balanced throughout the soundstage. Bass isn't their strong point, but it's often so accurate that you don't even care. The imaging is about as good as I have heard anywhere. For the money there is absolutely no way you could beat these headphones. If you are a college student or anyone who is constantly strapped for cash but want a good "reference" headphone for casual listening from a computer or another non amplified source, these are the perfect set. I wouldn't buy any other headphone under $120.

Purchased At:   I forgot

Submitted by mattmane a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked these headphones out from Best Buy's site, without ever hearing them - or using any other product from Jensen, for that matter. The specs. impressed me: 40 mm drivers, open-ear design, self-adjusting headband, and a volume control knob on the cord. An 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and extension cord are included. All plugs are gold-plated.
When I bought them (for only $40 plus shipping), they were Jensen best. They arrived in the mail punctually. I could now see if my purchase was wise or not.
Let's just say THEY'RE AWESOME! The spaciousness of the sound completely amazed me, and the stereo effect is the best of any headphones I've ever heard. The JF40s emphasize the spectrum of sound perfectly, uping the bass and treble (but not too much). The sound never distorts, and they don't require much power - good for portable units.
The only complaint I have of the JF40s is that they squeeze your ears. Its feels a little weird when you first put them on, but you get used to them. But after a couple of hours of use, they can get uncomfortable. To me, it's not a major issue, certainly not to keep me from highly recommending them - they just sound so good for the price.
With this purchase I learned that great sound does not have to have a high price tag. (If Sony made the same headphones, they would charge at least $100.) Most people are afraid of the lesser know brand. Don't be! The Jensen JF40s will impress you. They certainly aren't the ULTIMATE headphones, but if you want to spend $30-50, the JF40s will not disappoint.
I use my JF40s with MD portables (Sharp 722 and 877), and it's simply a joy to listen to them.

Purchased At:   bestbuy.com