Sennheiser RS 4-9 Wireless Heaphones

2.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Wireless 900mhz headphones.

Submitted by joseph smith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
The only thing worse than wasting my money on these headphones,is the place i bought these from (PALM AUDIO VIDEO,DESTIN FLORIDA). I have spent thousands there but they will not get another dime from me.Had these a week would not even give me a store credit.I have other sennheiser headphones that are great but do not shop there or buy these RS40's.

Purchased At:   palm audio video,destin florida

Submitted by William Powe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I tested a few other wireless Headphones in the range of $80 to $150. The Advent AW770, Sony MDR-RF930K and JVC HA-300RF The RS4-9's are by far the best sounding of the bunch.
The sound is clear and strong, with good bass. The range on them are up to 300' and I have no problem getting to about 250 of those feet. They start to break up at that point and as you keep walking, but it's still a great distance. Lets not forget about the convience of no cords. My wife is in no way interested in A/V, but she loves the hell out of these... No wires in the way, she can listen anywhere she wants and very easy for her to use.
My main problem with the RS4-9's is the battery life. Although there are two battery chargers on the transmitter the life is only 3.5 hours. Terrible if you only have one battery. You will need to an extra one. Personally I would recommend both, because it takes 9 hours to recharge a fully depleted battery. So if you have all three you have a fully rotatible battery system. Extra batteries are $19.99 and only Sennheiser batteries can be used.
There is a hiss on these H/P's which is not really that bad, and can be mad minimal with a combination of your source volume and the H/P reciever volume. First turn down the volume on the H/P's then turn up the volume on your source then adjust the volume on the H/P's accordingly.
Sennheiser really should have supplied a stand to rest the H/P when not in use. So you put them back where they belong when your finnished using them and so you don't have to lay them on different surfaces.
Overall, I love the RS4-9's. They are very lightweight and comfortable. They sound very good and i would definatly recommend them to anyone. I would also recommend getting them from JandR.com. I paid $69.99 for mine and All of the others I tested are under $100. Great prices JandR, Well Done...

Bill

Purchased At:   JandR.com

Submitted by René Smeenk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this headphone based on the Sennheiser reputation and wanting to be able to listen to quality music in a private cordless manner.
It was impossible to get any acceptable sound quality by tuning to the transmitter.
Sound was weak, distorted and with a lot of hiss, regardless which of the 3 channels I used.
I also started receiving music from somewhere else on 2 of the channels.
Ihis is in my opinion complete garbage, I knew not to expect the great quality that I get from my Beyer Dynamic DT990 normal headphone, but didn't expect this terrible sound quality.
I immediatly returned it the next day and got a refund without a problem.
I will never buy a cordless headset again.

Submitted by Bill Darrow a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I set out to buy a wireless headphone set that cost less than $150. I tested headphones from Advent and JVC in addtion to the Sennheisers, and the Senns sounded the best. Wireless headphones do not sound as good as those with wires. The RS-4s are a little muddy in midrange and could use a little bit more bass. For the price, however, they are the best of class. If you are an audiophile, buy wired headphones or buy a $300 wireless set. If you just want to listen to music while you are moving around doing other things, then buy these. I have no problems with their range, my set comes through loud and clear everywhere in my house. In sum, I'm happy with my purchase.

Submitted by Damon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I don't know why people expect 900MHz headphones to sound like their wired counterparts. I've tried other 900MHz headphones in this price range, and these are by far the best. If you want better, buy the 6s or the 8s. If you want audiophile quality, deal with the wire and purchase a set of HD 600s or Stax Lambda Nova Signatures.

Infinity RS-4?

Hello All! I purchased a pair of infinity RS-4 speakers 7 years ago and was hoping to retain these speakers as part of a new system. Yes, I want to save a few dollars but also know these speakers have received good reviews. I feel these speakers are "decent" but I am really not sure since my rece ... Read More »

BLG CP024: