Sony MDR-V900 Over-Ear Headphones

4.41/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $199.00

The MDR-V900 is an around-the-ear professional headphone that is ideal for sound monitoring in recording studios, radio, film production, video and virtually any application where high quality sound is required. The over-the-ear design follows the natural shape of the human ear, and positions the driver unit at a correct distance from the ear canal and creates a sealed resonance chamber.

Submitted by mike hanna a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
well i got mine just now, and from hearing with it some dif' styles, and dif' audio formats on my pc, i have to say that they are not the best thing u could get, but they r ok though, they are too light on the head, the ear units are very comfortable and big, from a small test iv done with my hands, they seem to be good for recording from the sealed acpect, they fold to a small size, and overall they are a nice, comffy, and sounding good, FOR A ONE DAY EXP' WITH THEM.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by yogirl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Bottom Line:
I love the sound quality, as a radio personality it is a must that I can hear myself with total clarity. However they need strengthen the cord, and make the ear pieces stronger. I find myself buying a new pair every year because the cord wears out or the ear piece breaks.

Purchased At:   guitar center

Submitted by Marxcel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
What's Good ? Whats Bad ? Or Best Summed up as WHAT WENT WRONG!? Simply put ... put your ear right next to your loudspeaker, a good one hopefully, turn it up mildly, and listen ... this is what the SONY V900s' sound like. If you've done this, you'd notice overpowering bass, rather powerful, but flat muddy vocal mid range, and slightly harsh treble. Now, move away from the speaker, and the sound is balanced, deep, open, with good response and stereo seperation. If you take the Sony V900s off your ears, set them down, it's the same effect, the crisp, detailed and airy treble appears, nicely laid back vocals, and decent bass. Your first impression of these headphones should be : "FLAT"

These are really hard NOT TO RECOMMEND, since they sweep the floor when it comes to loud listening, and at the same time, after you get used to their sound, you can enjoy listening at normal sound levels for very long periods of time, partially due to their excellent comfort. Although, it's not lond before you grab the VOLUME knob and put them to the max.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Imyourzero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
First, let me say that I am not an "audiophile". I've never used a headphone amp and I don't know exactly what to look for in an expensive set of headphones, but I do know what does and does not sound good to me. I purchased the Sony MDR-V900's after reading the user reviews on audioreview.com, although I had originally set out to buy a set of Sennheiser or Grado headphones. Let it suffice at this point to say, I *kind* of wish I had bought some Grados. That's not to say that these Sony headphones are bad, by any means, but as one reviewer pointed out, they do heavily color the bass and although that's what I thought I wanted at first, I am now wondering if I have made a $135 mistake. You see, I have a set of cheap(?) Takstar headphones that came with an old PC sound card that I purchased, and they do a decent job keeping up with the $135 Sony MDR-V900's. They do lack quite a bit of bass, and a bit of detail, but otherwise I can't tell a huge difference. Keep in mind I'm not an audiophile here, but I do have a pretty discerning ear...and I feel as if I've spent $135 for very little benefit. I honestly wish I had bought a pair of Grado SR80's or Sennheiser 280 Pro's instead. Not that the Sony's are bad by any means; it's just that they do emphasize the bass heavily and do not have as much detail as I expected. Maybe my Takstars were that good, but I expected an enourmous upgrade by buying the Sony's and they have left me semi-disappointed. Trust me, that's the LAST thing I wanted to write, as I wanted to justify my purchase...and these headphones would be GREAT for someone who wanted great sound with emphasis on bass and minimal distortion...but I found myself listening to my Takstars and wondering if the $135 was worth the extra bass and detail. In conclusion, I think that I can spend $80 on a set of Grado SR-80's and get extremely accurate/detailed sound and still have good bass response, and save over $50. These Sony's DO do an excellent job of containing the sound (I'm listening to them now) but the extra bass just seems a bit unnatural after listening to the Takstar headphones. Keep in mind, the Takstars have a module that accepts 2 AA batteries and accentuates the bass, similar to a Panasonic "Bass Shaker" model that's currently available, and I actually bought the Sony MDR-V900 with computer video games in mind where extra bass would be desirable, but after listening to several MP3's it just seems unnatural. Truth be known, I don't even use the inline bass-accentuating module on the Takstars anymore; I just plug them into my Logitech Z-680's and kick back. These 'phones really do color heavily the bass and it disappoints me that I want to send them back, because I REALLY thought I'd like them and I really wanted to recommend them. However, I think I will end up purchasing a set of Grado SR-80 headphones as well as a set of Sennheiser headphones (perhaps the 280 Pro's) as I feel after reading the numerous user reviews that they will deliver an accurate sound as well as ample, accurate bass response. I really really wanted to like and recommend these MDR-V900's, and I can to those who favor a heavy bass accent when listening to their music, but to me the bass accent provided by the 50mm drivers is just too heavy and does not sound as accurate as the original recording intended. For those that listen to rock/R&B/rap and play video games, these 'phones may be perfect, but for me they just didn't provide as much of an upgrade from my Takstar headphones as I had imagined/anticipated. I honestly bought them because I thought I would love the increased bass, but after wearing them through a few songs I wish I had gone with a lesser model (perhaps a model with 40mm drivers instead of 50mm; the increased bass was just slightly too much on most music for *MY* preferences). Your mileage may vary; some people may love the increased bass...but I will be returning these because I regret spending $143 for more bass and slightly more detail than my Takstar headphones.

Purchased At:   Etronics.com

Submitted by coolmacdude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I will first preface by saying that this is the first pair of quality headphones I have purchased above the under $50 variety, but I have used and listened to other high end units.

These headphones are in my opinion an incredible bargain in their price range. Everything I have listened to is reproduced with incredible vibrance and realism. The sound quality is simply superb. And there is no distorsion even at high levels. Others have complained about the bass. I don't think they are in the right market for these phones. The bass does have a little extra punch but it is not excessive. So if you want 100% accurate bass reproduction, look elsewhere. Do not use these for studio monitoring, or to produce a cd. That's not what they are designed for. On the other hand, if you are looking for a nice sound for general listening purposes that is not weak in the low end, this product would work nicely. The highs are of course crystal clear, unlike what you get with most of the low end stuff.

I also love the closed design. It blocks out any outside noise, even better than some noise cancalling headphones I have used. You can turn on speakers playing something at a very loud volume a short distance away, put these on and play something else, and you will hear nothing from the outside. I can't count the number of phone calls I have missed while listening on these. The design is also as comfortable as I've ever used. You can listen for hours and almost forget you even have them on.

I also purchased these for durability. I have only had them several months and already they have endured some very rough use without any problems at all. I look forward to many more years of enjoyable use with these headphones and I recommend them to anyone looking for a general use, high quality design.

Purchased At:   Etronics