Sennheiser HD280 Pro Over-Ear Headphones

4.58/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $99.99

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

• Closed, dynamic stereo headphones
  • Accurate, linear sound reproduction for critical monitoring applications
  • Optimum impedance ensures universal compatability
  • Space saving design features collapsible, rotating earcups
  • Up to 32 dB of ambient noise attenuation
  • Neodymium magnets for high maximum SPL
  • Single-sided, coiled cable with 3.5 mm mini jack with locking 1/4" adapter
  • Very comfortable, even if used for long periods of time
  • Rugged construction with user-replaceable parts

Submitted by Kilgore Trout a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
I don't typically write reviews online, but some of the comments about these great headphones left me wondering if someone might want to hear my schooled opinion. I came to know Sennheiser cans while on the road mixing sound with the likes of Manhattan Transfer, Bette Midler, Beachboys, Elvis, etc. Every one of these artists were/are sticklers about every aspect of sound. The Sennheisers of the day were all that even came close to doing the job.

In the decades since I have performed (over 40 years a guitarist and keyboardist) on the road and in the studio. I built my first digital studio in 1998 and have been at it in the studio ever since. I compared many brands of headphones, including some outrageously expensive ones and came back to Sennheisers and bought 6 pairs of HD265's. I also bought several different headphone amps, both tube and solid-state. I recently added a few pairs of HD 280's and have been very pleased.

I don't think the 280's are better or worse than the 265's. I've spent 100's, likely 1,000's of hours reviewing mixes for commercials, etc and they are both musically very accurate. I cringed at several comments made about their bass response. These are not sub-woofers in the back of the Honda, these are for real music. No headphone is going to sound anywhere near its best without going thru a dedicated headphone amp--period. Anything apparently lacking in any frequency range on the 280's or 265's is either in your equipment (likely no headphone amp) or your ears. One reviewer mentioned the distance of the driver to your ear as an explanation. Seriously, bass frequencies are omnidirectional and I find I've got far more bass thru either set of phones, so I don't get why you'd want the drivers closer to your ears. I listen to all mixes flat thru speakers, phones, etc to check for accuracy and my only comment is that I have to back off the lows just a tad on either set to be musically accurate.

Good headphone amps can be had reasonably inexpensively. I bought an 8 channel headphone amp with great connectivity from Behringer (not a brand I would generally consider) that sounds quite acceptable next to headphone amps costing more than 10 times as much. I want to say it was just under $200.

What else to say? We live in an audio-smothered world with mostly heavily compressed, extruded music. How can we compare good cans when they're mostly being used with crappy source signals? Buy the Sennheisers!

Submitted by tehsheik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've been reading the reviews here. These cans DO require the use of a headphone amp to get the right sound out of them. Yes, they do work with just about any audio device...however you'll immediately notice that the bass seems overly flat and the highs are a bit lacking. Use a device with enough power (not a laptop sound card, or Ipod....but rather a home theater reciever or sound board in a studio and you'll see why these cans get the rave reviews that they do. With the proper amount of power, these will rattle the hairs in your ear canal with very powerful (but not overly boosted) bass. Then, you'll be turning the volume down because your ears threshold for pain has been exceeded by the mids and highs. The only other cans ive listened to that can do a better job cost $800+ and CANNOT be used without a very powerful audio source.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by BFlat Tuba a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
Clear, detailed and natural sounding mid and upper mid range. Bass is remarkably deficient. Being a tuba player, I am very familiar with what one should hear in a recording. I listened to a recording I know to have a fairly prominent tuba, and it was almost completely absent when heard with the HD280. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the graph on headphones.com says it all. The deficiency is easily corrected with equalization with the result being enjoyable.

I listened to some private, good recordings of pipe organ and orchestra. I know what the recordings sound like, and these confirmed the lack of bass in the HD 280. However, the bass fall-off is smooth and easy to address with just a simple one octave equalizer. After the quick equalizer fix, the sound is reasonably accurate and natural and easy to listen to for a long time without fatigue.

I have to wonder if the padding on the ear cups is so thick that the transducers are sitting too far from the ears. If there is significant manufacturing variation in the thickness of the padding, that might explain why some people say the low bass is fine and others say it is lacking.

Purchased At:   Musicians Friend

Submitted by dugfish a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am not an audio expert by any means - these are my first decent set of headphones - but I can confirm what people say about these
- they block out the noise well
- they are a bit tight on the head but comfortable
- the sound seems "honest" across the range while being a bit lacking in the lows and highs
- the sound is very, very good - to me! Like I said, they're the first I've owned but it's been a revelation. I just don't want to take them off! Thanks to the other reviewers for your comments, it really helped in the choice making..

Submitted by Irresistance a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
So, you have been to the local store to get some headphones. Having been though the El-cheapo $ 9.99 models you are looking for something better, something that will make you feel good about your purchase. You think you're an audiophile, but, really, you just want to hear a sound that in your untrained ears will give you decent satisfaction. You skip the $ 49.99 headphones, under the assumption they are probably just a bit better or some overpriced version of worthless cans anyway - welcome to the Sennheiser Isle.

I have used Sennheisers for the last 10 years. My first ones were open models, not sure which, the second ones were the HD 265, which I have used for 5 years, but due to the severe and extensive use I have subjected them to, the padded headthingos started to tear and they now look really crappy. Realising that the replacement (of just the head-pads!) would cost me over $100 on eBay, I decided it was time to get a new set of cans.

These headphones, in one word, absolutely, RULE for the type of user that I am. Let me explain. What I do is constantly listen to MP3/OGG music while I work, enjoy the occasional game and now and again use the cans on a CD player. These cans give me a very pleasurable experience. Excellent reproduction, no hiss, and did I mention, excellent, totally perfect isolation. The 265's claim to be closed headphones, but really - once you have tried the 280s the word "closed" begets a whole new meaning.

Taking these off is like switching worlds.

My guesstimate would be that they exclude about 80% of outside noise. I work here on a Dual Opteron with 2 (fanned) Video cards, 4 hard disks, and with headphones off the usual person would say - "Damn dude your PC is loud". Its not VERY loud, but absolutely noticeable. With headphones on, its over. Finished. A gentle fan in the distance, a small humm that is hardly distracting. Look - if you're a lover of classical music and want it absolutely silent - it wont be that. But then you wouldnt be sitting behind (such) a PC anyway...

So to summarize I would say to you - if you are looking for good, no questions asked headphones or use behind the computer while you work or play a game, but you do want the sound to be decent, loud and dont want to hear your overclocked jet engine spoil the music - mate, by the time you finish reading this sentence you should have pressed Buy-It-Now or be standing with your coat on ready to race to your local audio store.

You know how you always read reviews and then at the end you read something like "for this price... its a great item" which makes you think hmmm ok maybe its NOT the best choice... well - at ANY price (spare for the price of diamond-coated goldplated Mick Jagger-signed headphones ;) these are a GOOD buy. They are definitely better or equal to HD 265's and cost (at least here ) 40% less.

Purchased At:   eBay