Grado RS1i Over-Ear Headphones

4.61/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $695.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

The RS-1i is the Masterpiece of the Grado collection, the Top-Of-The-Range product which oozes class both in looks and sound. Featuring handcrafted Mahogany earpieces made using an intricate curing process, Grado has been able to optimize the tonal quality. The RS1 uses dynamic transducers in an open-air configuration, the cups being open-backed. The result is a smooth, coherent sound with detailed dynamics. Frequency response ranges from 12-30 kHz and the drivers are matched to 0.05dB. Weighing 9 ounces, the headphones are an example of the wonder of mother nature with a gorgeous, honey-colored look.

Submitted by Timur Brotanek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I owned Sennheiser HD580 for years, this year decided to upgrade and listened to HD600, HD650, Grado RS2 and Grado RS1. As result purchased Grado RS1 as it had best sound, clarity, details, sound stage, instrument seperation and realism of music you are listing to. I did not find Grado RS1 particularly uncomfortable and several hours of listing do not tire me at all. If you can afford Grado Rs1 definitely try them. Note: as test music I listend to Edgars Pump and Circumstance, Mahler symphony no. 2 Resurection. CD player Densen B-410 and headphone amplifier Musical Fidelity X CAN V3 (tube).
Hope this helps.

Purchased At:   audio vinyl zurich s

Submitted by peterbr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I thought I had heard the best headphones when I recieved my Sennheiser HD650. (I listen trough a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 headphone amp and an average Denon cd player). But then I received these Grado RS-1 headphones. I noticed that it has better detail and better bass. If you want the best headphones, purchase these.

Submitted by ebroyles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
It is probably the best headphone ever developed. It cost 1/5 the price of a Stax Omega 7 and can stand toe to toe with it all day long in sound quality. The first time I put on a set of Stax Omega 7, I thought mankind had finally achieved the epitome in headphone development. But sure enough, a small company out of Brooklyn New York by the name of Grado’s Lab proved the world wrong. The first time I put on and listened to a set of Grado’s Lab’s RS1 headphones, I thought I had finally gone to heaven. It was better than being in the land of milk of honey. The sound and tonal quality of the music is just completely indescribable. It left this listener completely speechless. The clarity and resonating warms tones from these mystical cans truly cater to the palate of ones ears. Talk about being live at a concert. It is like having the concert come to you at home when you put a set of cans on.

One can understand why John Grado has won so many top awards for creating the worlds best headphones. It is amazing that a small business like Grado Labs can develope and manufacture a world class headphone that can complete against the best (e.g.-Stax, Sony, Sennheiser, and etc.). Sometimes the largest is not always the best. The whole series of Grado's headphones have respectively earned the right to be consider by many as the best headphones ever made by man. One can only imagine what the audio world would be like if John Grado's had the research and development funding of Sony!

John surely knows how to engineer and make a headphone. As for me, it is time to saddle up my RS1 cans and rejoin the land of milk and honey.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by weiserb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Simply a work of musical art!You become one with the music. I think the Musical Fidelity V3 is the best match so far! The tubes seem to warm up the sound nicely.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Reano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Note the price is UK £375. OK at last I have the RS1's I read all the reviews first about how these headphones compare to the HD600. I am an amateur piano player and the rest of the flamily play instruments (intermediate or good) bass player cousin who has played with Ronny Jordan and co, drummer who has played with Pato banton (remember with UB40 rat in my kichen lol), my wife plays violin, kids play, etc so I have a musical ear hehe. I also auditioned these against the HD600. I previous owned the Grado SR80, also have sennheiser px200, mx500 and mx400 (for personal hifi use).
When I brought the Grado SR80 I auditioned against comparable Beyer and Sennheiser and thought the Grado won just on clarity. I thought the bass was just right and the Senn's were too bassy. My musical preferences are Jazz, classical and RnB so I like both bass and Treble.
Then I thought I just have to go one step further and let me tell you the RS1's are definately the best. I am a pround owner of the Musical Fidelity X-CAN v3 and have a reasonable marantz CD player (DR6000) so everything source wise is ok. I listened to Jill Scott (RnB), Regina Carter (Jazz violinist) and Mozart 'jupiter' (classical) to compare the headphones. I can say that the RS1's won on every category bass, clarity of instruments, environment feel (e.g. you get lost in the music thinking your there).
When I first put RS1's on then went back to listen to my normal system (Marantz CD, Pioneer 2011 Amp, Kef Q5 speakers) I am both home cinema and hifi buff so had to match both. I can say I was angry. I thought my system is rubbish now!!! I heard so many small bits to the music I had not previously heard (soooooo much). You take the headphones off and now know your missing loads of detail. Damn!!!! It also shows how wonderful your ears are!! Anyway back to the headphones. The RS1's look lovely too when I was in the shop comparing the too both men and women commented on the look of RS1's favourably (in the shop we compared on Linn CD player). However the build quality of the RS1's are poor for headphones that cost the average man a couple of weeks wages (c£700 rrp) I think Grado need to look at this. The ear felt seems to be coming away and looks like someone just stuck it on in the factory with kid's glue. Also the Senn's out the box are more comfortable but after careful adjustment of the Grado's you can wear for hours (I have even played many a PC game using the headphones to help burn them in).
The HD600 were the shop demo' and at the time the RS1's had maybe only had about 10 - 20 hours use so I think it was maybe a fair comparison. I wanted to get the HD600 as I could get them for about a third of the price £129 from Ask Direct UK but I know I would have regretted it having heard the RS1's where as now I have no regret having not got the HD600.
I have tried to be as objectional as I could as I like both headphones but if you can get a second user pair go for the RS1's but I think the retail price of £650 - £700 is just too much. At £400 the RS1's are a good price..

Purchased At:   Second user