Audio-Technica ATH-A500 Over-Ear Headphones

Audio-Technica has raised the bar on headphones once again with the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 Headphones. The ATH-A500s use a closed-back style and dynamic elements to produce clear, accurate sound with little outside noise. Large aperature 53mm drivers assure wide-range playback, while the new 3D Wing Support Housing provides comfortable support for a better listening experience. Impressive 5Hz-30kHz frequency response and 100dB sensitivity.

Submitted by arnout a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am not an audiophile, but since I like classical music a lot I tend to give some importance to timbre and soundstage.

These headphones are not particularly rated as hifi headphones by many headphones fanatics.
Most people use these for movies and computergames, because it has a wide soundstage.
And that's it, no other purpose.
The stereo-image is supposed to be not very precise and the bass too big and uncontrolled for music in general but especially classical music...that's the overall opinion about these cans.
Great.

It beats me why I am enjoying these headphones and especially with classical music?
There must be something very wrong with my ears...but I love 'em!

The good points:
Big bass with good definition, which is great with classical music, it adds extra warmth.
Huge soundstage for closed headphones, I get drowned in sound.
Lots of detail...well let's say just enough detail for me, any more detail probably would make them sound 'clinical'
They are huge and cover your ears, but very comfortable to wear.
Very sensitive, they don't need a proper headphones amp to shine, an iPod is a good enough source already.

Some negative points:
Sometimes they are a bit too upfront, in yer face.
The highs aren't always gentle, sometimes pretty sharp, but never 'edgy'...with this I mean that it never shrieks.
The phones aren't silent, they make some noise when you turn your head for instance.

Overall great headphones.